YACT: Fuel Filter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thorny

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Christobevii3
Originally posted by: Thorny
Originally posted by: Toastedlightly
When problems arise :[

You mean like it clogging up and causing massive detonation in the engine or burning up the fuel pump?

I change mine every 60,000 miles.

With modern vehicles with O2 sensors you will likely notice a difference in drivability before engine damage occurs. While it may damage the fuel pump if left uncorrected, I really wouldn't lose any sleep about it.

A computer isn't that smart in cars. An o2 sensor checks after there is a problem and just tell the engine to dump more fuel or lessen. If it is running to lean it will say dump more fuel in along with air, without access to more fuel = major combustion = rebuild.

When the car runs lean, your service engine light will come on. This will happen LONG before engine damage will occur. Missing and poor performance will also likely happen before permanent damage occurs. I've replaced many clogged filters that have kept a car from running, none of them had engine damage.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000

A computer isn't that smart in cars. An o2 sensor checks after there is a problem and just tell the engine to dump more fuel or lessen. If it is running to lean it will say dump more fuel in along with air, without access to more fuel = major combustion = rebuild.

It's not that simple. All ECU's in cars are not the same. Just like anything...some are better than others.

Just to give you an idea, on the Speed6, here are all the things that the computer measures, in addition to the normal OBD-II specifications, and I can have access to...

http://www.autoenginuity.com/Mazda-Sensor-List.html