YACT: For all you Mopar peeps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Ozoned
Originally posted by: Toastedlightly

I set the timing by the book[/i]

(supposedly this engien was re-built before I got it by a student at a car-tech place)

My engine pings at a little above idle

I think it is all there.

Now, getting at the timing chain isn't that tough, just do it...

I don't believe it is the timing chain. Engine ran fine before I did stuff to it.. (new intake, carb). I just don't have all the EGR stuff, or the proper port on the carb for that VA. :(

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005

I think it is all there.

Now, getting at the timing chain isn't that tough, just do it...[/quote]

I don't believe it is the timing chain. Engine ran fine before I did stuff to it.. (new intake, carb). I just don't have all the EGR stuff, or the proper port on the carb for that VA. :([/quote]

It isn't

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
Originally posted by: QuitBanningMe
OP are there any problems when you are running without vaccum advance?

To tell you the truth, I believe it is just gonna be a loss of power. Oh well, Ill deal w/ it. Gotta tell my dad that is my solution to this problem (he is leading me on this little chase). See what he thinks. (I've just been messing with VA for today)

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
OP are there any problems when you are running without vaccum advance?

To tell you the truth, I believe it is just gonna be a loss of power. Oh well, Ill deal w/ it. Gotta tell my dad that is my solution to this problem (he is leading me on this little chase). See what he thinks. (I've just been messing with VA for today)

I meant it runs fine at idle sans vacuum advance right? Just to rule out other things.

I know what happens without VA your engine will run like sh!t in the upper range, it will suck gas, and make no power.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Where else would it be pulled off? What would happen if I just went w/o VA?
Exactly what I said: You'll have to find a happy medium by trial and error.
Probably a bit above what your timing at idle should be, but nowhere near what you should have at total advance.

Keep bumping it up.....but keep shutting it off and see how easily it'll restart. An engine with too much advance will be slow to turn over.
Find a happy medium between easy starting, and as much advance as you can get for power.

And there's nowhere else to get vacuum from, not ported vacuum. Has to come from the carb.

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
^ what he said and you will definately know from the starter drag you have went to far.

Out of curiosity what carb did you get and do you still have the old one?

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
^ what he said and you will definately know from the starter drag you have went to far.

I went with an old Holley off of a '73 motor home (413ci). I went from a stock, beat up, in need of repair unidentifyable 2 barrel carter, to a new looking, good running, holley 4 barrel (600 CFM). My dad is gonna start driving it (to test it out before I get my hands on it). What I love is that I put maybe 100 bucks into a 400 dollar vehicle. We are running w/ a VA off the carb that does pull (only slightly), seeing if that works. Thanks for the help OT.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
As someone else aluded to, you've kinda got your priorities mixed up....

Pinging is far worse than... just about anything else.. lol

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005

I went with an old Holley off of a '73 motor home (413ci). I went from a stock, beat up, in need of repair unidentifyable 2 barrel carter, to a new looking, good running, holley 4 barrel (600 CFM). My dad is gonna start driving it (to test it out before I get my hands on it). What I love is that I put maybe 100 bucks into a 400 dollar vehicle. We are running w/ a VA off the carb that does pull (only slightly), seeing if that works. Thanks for the help OT.

:confused: I thought it didn't have a vac line which I thought was odd. Even made a post with a pic but erased it.

Only pulls slightly? Do you mean at idle? If so it isn't supposed to pull at idle so that is good.