YACT: Electrical Problems

DrumminBoy

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2002
I installed some new speakers in my car tonight and rewired my cd player, and it worked fine for awhile, but when i went to rearrange the wires to make everything fit back in my dash it wouldnt turn back on. The ground is secure, and all the power connections are fine. About the time that happened, i noticed that my clock went dim if i turned my lights on, so i checked my battery which i just bought yesterday and i noticed the terminal was a little loose, but nothing major. I also noticed that every time i turned the car off the clock would reset itself. I messed with the wires some, and decided that i would leave it for the night and look at it again tomorrow. So i was driving around with one of my friends later and he notices taht my clock flashes when i have my turn signal on, and it dims when i turn my brights on. We were close to my house so i decided to run in and grab a wrench to tighten down the battery terminals just in case it had something to do with it. So i pull the connection off, make sure there isnt any gunk around the terminal and tighten it on good. I get in my car, start it, and turn on my lights, and low and behold, my dash lights wont turn on any more. THe first thing i thought was a blown fuse, but theyre all good. I'm really stumped on what could be causing all of this. There was alot to describe so if i need to expand on anything lmk.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Unplug your stereo and go for a ride, sounds like you might have something miswired or didn't insulate well and there's a short, etc. Might check and be sure no grounds or anything came off behind the dash too.

DrumminBoy

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Soybomb
Unplug your stereo and go for a ride, sounds like you might have something miswired or didn't insulate well and there's a short, etc. Might check and be sure no grounds or anything came off behind the dash too.

I unplugged it and it still did teh same thing. Would a bad alternator cause any of this?

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by: DrumminBoy
Originally posted by: Soybomb

I unplugged it and it still did teh same thing. Would a bad alternator cause any of this?
I don't believe a bad alternator would do this, test it at autozone if you are unsure. I'm pretty sure you have something miss wired.

alexjohnson16

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2002
yeah, i was the friend that was driving around with drumminboy in his civic...

its a really weird thing... hope he gets it fixed...

he also drove through one of the most dangerous intersections on our town through the most blatant red light i've ever seen... :)

DrumminBoy

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2002
Originally posted by: alexjohnson16
yeah, i was the friend that was driving around with drumminboy in his civic...

its a really weird thing... hope he gets it fixed...

he also drove through one of the most dangerous intersections on our town through the most blatant red light i've ever seen... :)

:confused: ????

blahblah99

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: DrumminBoy
I installed some new speakers in my car tonight and rewired my cd player, and it worked fine for awhile, but when i went to rearrange the wires to make everything fit back in my dash it wouldnt turn back on. The ground is secure, and all the power connections are fine. About the time that happened, i noticed that my clock went dim if i turned my lights on, so i checked my battery which i just bought yesterday and i noticed the terminal was a little loose, but nothing major. I also noticed that every time i turned the car off the clock would reset itself. I messed with the wires some, and decided that i would leave it for the night and look at it again tomorrow. So i was driving around with one of my friends later and he notices taht my clock flashes when i have my turn signal on, and it dims when i turn my brights on. We were close to my house so i decided to run in and grab a wrench to tighten down the battery terminals just in case it had something to do with it. So i pull the connection off, make sure there isnt any gunk around the terminal and tighten it on good. I get in my car, start it, and turn on my lights, and low and behold, my dash lights wont turn on any more. THe first thing i thought was a blown fuse, but theyre all good. I'm really stumped on what could be causing all of this. There was alot to describe so if i need to expand on anything lmk.

Is there a cliff notes version of this? Sorry, its 1am and I'm too tired to read through all that :)