YACT: Car Auctions? Tips?

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
I'm probably going to go to a car auction today, any tips on how to get the best deal? It appears to be a write down auction, so it is not live. I read some articles on kbb, looking at the paint and making sure all the stuff works... I looked up prices on the cars I want to bid on through kbb also, should auction prices be lower than those or about the same? I ran the VINs through Carfax, just to see how many records it has. Most of them seem to have normal number of records, but I think I will avoid the 03 with 11 records on it. Thanks!

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Look the cars over for excessive wear or shoddy bodywork. If you doubt the condition of the vehicle then don't bid. Set a price in your mind and stick with it, it's very easy to go over your limit in the heat of an auction.

We expect pictures after you get you new car. ;)

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Quixfire
Look the cars over for excessive wear or shoddy bodywork. If you doubt the condition of the vehicle then don't bid. Set a price in your mind and stick with it, it's very easy to go over your limit in the heat of an auction.

We expect pictures after you get you new car. ;)
I agree with Quixfire, definitely set a maximum amount you're going to pay and don't talk yourself into going over that amount. Also, some auctions require you to put down a deposit on the car immediately if your bid is the winning bid. Make sure you fully understand the auction rules before you start bidding, you don't want to get yourself into a big financial bind you can't escape.

Oh, and we definitely want to see the pictures.

techfuzz

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
Yes... I will be attending a dealship-ship type, live, fast action auction within the next couple of weeks. My father in law has attended the same auction twice to get a feel for it to help me out. As far as he knows, if a consumer place a bid on a car, they are required to put down at least $100 that day... and only have until the next business day to get financing on the car. Otherwise, it is returned to the auction and they keep your $100. (He is not 100% certain that is how it goes, but pretty sure).