YACT: Can you turn slotted rotors?

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I'm getting a bad shake in the steering wheel when I brake at 50mph or above. I'm thinking the front rotors are most likely warped but if turning them can save them then I'm going to try that. They are slotted rotors so I'm not sure if they can turn them without damaging them. So what's the verdict?

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
I've never seen it done, but it's got to be possible. I can't imagine they would make rotors that could not be turned. Having turned a few before, I don't see why it would be an issue, but like I said I've never seen it done.

Rogeee

Feb 1, 2006
thirdeye, that article is somewhat true, I have over a lifetime of repairing vehicles found many cases of warped discs (Lateral runout exceeding tolerable limits) from excessive heat.
The heat is not what warps the discs, it's not letting enough cool down time before parking the vehicle, the rotor (disc) when parked at elevated temperatures cool reletively quickly except where the pads are resting over the disc, this causes uneven cooling and warpage.
I have also seen as in the article, deposition of brake pad material on the rotor(s) along with surface hardening which will greatly affect braking performance as well as heat generation .

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
I thought the slotted / cross-drilled rotors were supposed to prevent overheating and, therefore, warping??

Rogeee

Feb 1, 2006
EA, the slots allow gasses that are form during breaking to escape thus allowing better pad to rotor contact thus increasing braking force.

thirdeye

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2001
www.davewalter.net
Originally posted by: Rogeee
thirdeye, that article is somewhat true, I have over a lifetime of repairing vehicles found many cases of warped discs (Lateral runout exceeding tolerable limits) from excessive heat.
The heat is not what warps the discs, it's not letting enough cool down time before parking the vehicle, the rotor (disc) when parked at elevated temperatures cool reletively quickly except where the pads are resting over the disc, this causes uneven cooling and warpage.
I have also seen as in the article, deposition of brake pad material on the rotor(s) along with surface hardening which will greatly affect braking performance as well as heat generation .

No doubt. Just an interesting article I ran across.

thirdeye

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2001
www.davewalter.net
Originally posted by: Rogeee
EA, the slots allow gasses that are form during breaking to escape thus allowing better pad to rotor contact thus increasing braking force.

They also create a sort of grating action on the pad that helps to increase friction (or bite) and keep the pad from glazing at high temps.

Rogeee

Feb 1, 2006
They also create a sort of grating action on the pad that helps to increase friction (or bite) and keep the pad from glazing at high temps.

Hmmm..... interesting theory, I'll have to look into that :)