YACT: Buying a jaguar... need some experts on imports...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 18, 2000
Damn, reading this thread was painful.
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
Old jags are nothing but trouble.
As was posted before, this is a 2003 Jag.
Originally posted by: KraziKid
Jaguar are domestic now.
In what regard? The S-type is the only Jag that is currently based off an American platform (Ford's DEW platform that's also being used in the Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird and new Mustang). The X-type is based off the European Mondeo chassis with domestic engines. The XK and XJ share their platforms with no other vehicles, as far as I know. The aluminum chassis for the XJ is state of the art.
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
dont! dont get a used and hit xtype. xtypes arent worth it. poor transmission even when new. lincoln LS is based on the same base and a hell of a lot cheaper too!!!

but i guess if the damage is only cosmetic....id still be careful though... in case you wanted to sell in the future.
No, only the S-type is based off the Lincoln LS, not the X-type. The X-type has had plenty of quality control issues from what I understand, but I'm curious where you got the information about the poor transmissions. Is it anecdotal evidence or from actual research?

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike the X-type - hell, I wouldn't buy one - but unlike some of the dumbasses in this thread, we don't pull opinions from our ass.

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Quixfire
That does not answer my question. You stated the accident did not officially happen and I asked how that was possible if the car was being sold as salvage. Your answer didn?t cover my question at all. I understand how the insurance claims work and why a car wouldn?t be repaired due to excessive cost. But what you fail to understand is that most states require, by law, to brand a title of a vehicle that has been deemed salvage by an insurance company and this record can be access by a Carfax report or a general query at the local DMV for that state. So how you expect this salvage title vehicle?s value not to be affected by this unoffical accident?
halik specifically said the vehicle was NOT under a salvage title.

bigd480

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
hey are you the same halik from tt.net? if so you know better than to ask car questions here - go to a jag board or xtype board

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
That does not answer my question. You stated the accident did not officially happen and I asked how that was possible if the car was being sold as salvage. Your answer didn?t cover my question at all. I understand how the insurance claims work and why a car wouldn?t be repaired due to excessive cost. But what you fail to understand is that most states require, by law, to brand a title of a vehicle that has been deemed salvage by an insurance company and this record can be access by a Carfax report or a general query at the local DMV for that state. So how you expect this salvage title vehicle?s value not to be affected by this unoffical accident?
halik specifically said the vehicle was NOT under a salvage title.
That's not true, he said it was a clean title, not it wasn't salvage title. There are a few levels to a salvage title classifcation, here in Michigan there are five, stolen/recovered, salvage, salvage only, destroyed, and I forget the last one.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
man, you just love used cars, don't you. :) I know a guy around here that works at a Ford dealership, but should have some Jag connections...maybe he could hook you up with a mechanic or something.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: KnightBreed

"In what regard? The S-type is the only Jag that is currently based off an American platform (Ford's DEW platform that's also being used in the Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird and new Mustang). The X-type is based off the European Mondeo chassis with domestic engines. The XK and XJ share their platforms with no other vehicles, as far as I know. The aluminum chassis for the XJ is state of the art."

I think the poster meant that Jag is no longer "Jaguar" from Britian but instead Jag is now just another piece of the Ford MoCo. Pie thus their ownership by a "Dmoestic" conglomerate has negated their "import" status, something which I would agree with seeing as many of their high volume selling componenets are shared with their lower end brands and assembled in domestic plants...

"No, only the S-type is based off the Lincoln LS, not the X-type. The X-type has had plenty of quality control issues from what I understand, but I'm curious where you got the information about the poor transmissions. Is it anecdotal evidence or from actual research?"

Correct, the S-Type uses a LS chassis and the X is based of a Mondeo ver2 chassis, with re. the transmissions I personally have read more than a few complaints with re. X type transmissions but never bothered looking into them, I just figured they were using the same ATX as the Mondeo/Contour and those have had more than a few reported problems, also I personally think it is a shame they didn't go with their 2.4 mazda engine for the X type as IMHO it is much nicer than the current 2.5 or 3 litre options at only a slight loss in HP over the 3 (if they can pull 200hp from it as in my SVT then they should be able to do the same for the Jag)

"There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike the X-type - hell, I wouldn't buy one - but unlike some of the dumbasses in this thread, we don't pull opinions from our ass."

I also would go as far as saying there are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike all of Jag's output simply for the fact that it is nothing more than a lower end brand (Ford) trying to cash in on an upscale market by stealing someone else's history, sure their upper eschelon of products are nice, but for that money they should be...what I find interesting is now we are seeing Ford components being used in lower end Jags, and Jag components being shared with elite brands such as Aston Marten....gotta love consolidation.l

In response to the initial poster, if you are doing this and don't plan on disclosing the info to a potential buyer then that IMHO is wrong, sorry I call it like I see it.

Edit:

Yup, just as I thought, the X-type share the same tranny as the Mondeo/Contour...

Here is a quote:

X-Type's parts come from the Mondeo. Apart from the platform, some suspension bits, the engine block and the gearbox, the X-Type's engineering is pure Jaguar.

Also, I love the way they put that...so basically the body kit and the interior are all Jag wheras everything else isn't :)

Here is a link to a 2002 review:
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/46031/article.html

Also this is pretty funny....

For instance, while the engine block is derived from the same Duratec V6 engine that powers Ford's Taurus, the power-producing bits ? cylinder head, intake and exhaust systems ? are all of British origin. The result is that the X-Type's top-of-the-line 3.0-liter V6 pumps out a stellar 231 horsepower, compared with the 200 that Ford squeezes from the same displacement. Even the smaller 2.5-liter version boasts 194 hp, just a sneeze short of the larger-displacement Taurus.

What I really find interesting is the last line, that their 2.5 L is only pushing out 194 HP whereas one could have purchased a Contour SVT for about $11-12 less, have the same platform, better suspension, fully loaded and a better engine putting out 200HP...so why buy the X type when you get a *better* car for much less if not for branding....also interesting to note that since the X-type uses the same motor as a Taurus some might argue the two cars are distantly related....

Jun 18, 2000
That's not true, he said it was a clean title, not it wasn't salvage title. There are a few levels to a salvage title classifcation, here in Michigan there are five, stolen/recovered, salvage, salvage only, destroyed, and I forget the last one.
Originally posted by: halik
i would imagine it has some warranty, i will have to check it out with jag. BUT officially the acident never happened, as theres no claim with the insurance and no salvage title.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
It is almost never worth it. You're better off buying one that's a bit older and is in perfect shape.

ZV
2003 != old.
?
Ah, I thought you were referring to his origianl post. You should have quoted my post the first time.

My intent was that he look at a 2001 or maybe a 2000. Still new enough to be reliable, but the expense shouldn't be too bad.

ZV

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: bigd480
hey are you the same halik from tt.net? if so you know better than to ask car questions here - go to a jag board or xtype board

haha yeah i am. I figured jag owners wouldnt know sh!t - the kind of peopel that buys jags generally dont know anything about cars...

I called the guy again today and he said that the car DOES have a salvage title. Which is kinda weird, since i asked him the same question and he said it didnt... Anyway from what i spoke to him, the car has no structural damage and it needs:
bumpers
strighten hood
headlight
tail
trunklid

The car doesnt rub and drives just fine

To answer the salvage problem, it is possible that the person just decided not to claim the insurance and rather sell the car as is. This way the car would have clean title. But after talking to the guy again the car does indeed have salvage title

michigan salvage title info