YACT: Battery light comes on randomly.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
2000 Dodge Neon manual

I'm not certain what the battery light is monitoring.

It comes on occasionally, maybe once or twice a week, for the last 3 weeks. The first time it happend I took it in to the shop and they did an electrical system test and replaced the battery.

It's in the middle of driving, and is not accompanied by any perceptible loss of power. I don't have any problem starting the car, and none of the peripherals have any issues.

Doesn't happen every time, just occasionally.

I ask about spark plugs, because I have noticed, on occasion, a gap in acceleration in the upper forties....

Any ideas?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The gap in acceleration means you probably need new plugs and/or wires. But I can't see how they'd be causing your battery light. You should probably have the alternator checked out, or maybe look to see if the belt seems like it's slipping.
The battery light should be monitoring the voltage level.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Alt/Regulator is getting weak causing the light to come on. Gonna need a new alt/regulator, not sure on that year if the voltage regulator is part of the alt or not. If not good for you, cheap easy fix. If not sucks to be you, gonna cost a few bucks can be a pain in the ass depending on where its located.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Battery light monitors your charging system. Has nothing to do with the sparkplugs. Weak battery, failing alternator, slippijg belt could all cause that. Get it checked.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Cant be a belt, its got a one belt to run them all, one belt to bind them, and if it fails in the middle of bfe bend over cuz your fvcked. Said he just changed his battery, cant be plugs, thats just absurd thinking there, so one and only one thing left.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Belt doesn't have to break to just slip enough to let the alternator not put out a full charge...however, with a serpentine belt, AND with a new battery, I'd suspect a failing alternator. (IIRC, the VR is inside the alternator, and not EASILY replaceable without replacing the entire alternator.)

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: funboy42
Alt/Regulator is getting weak causing the light to come on. Gonna need a new alt/regulator, not sure on that year if the voltage regulator is part of the alt or not. If not good for you, cheap easy fix. If not sucks to be you, gonna cost a few bucks can be a pain in the ass depending on where its located.

Sort of what I figured. I'm coming to the conclusion that I disturb EM fields. Every car I've ever had the alternator goes out on eventually, and certain street lamps dim whenever I go under them. It's unnerving.... just call me powder.

All of which means the shop couldn't find the problem so stuck me with a new battery 'cause it was a quick $50

:|

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Battery light monitors your charging system. Has nothing to do with the sparkplugs. Weak battery, failing alternator, slippijg belt could all cause that. Get it checked.

QFT get the alternator checked and the battery. (lol sparkplugs :Q)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Tom
could be your shorts.

ROFL! OR, it COULD be a bad ground somewhere...
DEfinitely something to have checked however.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: djheater

Sort of what I figured. I'm coming to the conclusion that I disturb EM fields. Every car I've ever had the alternator goes out on eventually, and certain street lamps dim whenever I go under them. It's unnerving.... just call me powder.

All of which means the shop couldn't find the problem so stuck me with a new battery 'cause it was a quick $50

eh, not really. a bad alt not charging the battery is a fast way to fry a battery. depding on how long it was going on its a good idea to replace the battery if you have a bad alt. so if i were you i would get that alt replaces as soon as possible to get the load off running your car.

teddyv

May 7, 2005
Alt/Regulator is getting weak causing the light to come on

Bullseye - probably the brushes. Not sure if the part is available separately or part of the Alternator - the alternator (part# F4000-165567 maybe?) runs about $200. Can you change a tire? If so, think about replacing it yourself.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: djheater

DING! DING! DING! Why fix the actual problem when you can be back on the road with your money in their pocket. They're all just parts changers. Rarely do you get anyone who actually diagnoses the problem and fix whats causing it. Something had to kill the battery assuming it wasn't 7 years old. I'm doubting they did an electrical system "test" as it would have shown a weak charging system.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Most likely is a slipping alternator belt. Check that and replace it. It's the simplest and cheapest thing. It's possible that the alternator is starting to fail, but check the belt first.

EDIT: The Neon does NOT use a serpentine. It has a belt for the alternator and a separate belt that runs both the A/C and PS. These acessory belts are indeed multirib and not V-belt, but they are not true serpentines.

ZV

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Most likely is a slipping alternator belt. Check that and replace it. It's the simplest and cheapest thing. It's possible that the alternator is starting to fail, but check the belt first.

EDIT: The Neon does NOT use a serpentine. It has a belt for the alternator and a separate belt that runs both the A/C and PS. These acessory belts are indeed multirib and not V-belt, but they are not true serpentines.

ZV

I stand corrected it doesnt use the one belt for everything for that year.

OP check the belt. Should have but a 1/2-1 inch of play no more. Since its a multi-rib belt small cracks in it is normal but if it hasnt been changed in a long time should prolly change it, Get the alt checked for free at any pep boys/auto zone, and if you change the alt, change the belt at the same time for its only a few bucks more for peace of mind down the road.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

ZV

I stand corrected it doesnt use the one belt for everything for that year.

OP check the belt. Should have but a 1/2-1 inch of play no more. Since its a multi-rib belt small cracks in it is normal but if it hasnt been changed in a long time should prolly change it, Get the alt checked for free at any pep boys/auto zone, and if you change the alt, change the belt at the same time for its only a few bucks more for peace of mind down the road.

1/2-1" is a bit much :) I have 3 separate belts in my Nissan..7-8mm with a 22lb force is the limit, that's a little less than a 1/3". On my 66 mustang about the same I think, definitely not an inch. My 88 GT had a serpentine and the tensioner pulley died...even then just a lot of noise and the belt didn't flex 1/2"

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Like others have said, belts, maybe alternator (they can test it), but it could be your voltage regulator and mine ('91 Dakota) was in the engine computer ($125 rebuilt, arg!!)