• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

YACT: Anyone know where to get wheel spacers for my 300zx?

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
My dad just picked up a 1986 300zx in mint condition reciently. Only 83k miles. The car needed to be aligned badly though and the previous owner never got it done so the front tires got worn unevenly.

I need to replace the tires but we have 4 rims with tires that were barely used just lying around so I wanted to use those. The only problem is the old 300zx's had a really weird offset (10mm) and the rims won't fit (hardly any other than stock will fit for that matter).

I called tirerack and asked if there was anything I could do to get them to fit and he told me I could use a spacer to bring the wheel out another 20mm or so but they don't carry them. Does anyone know where to get them or how safe they are? The guy at tirerack seemed to recommend against it.

The rims we bought for a bmw 325i but we sold it shortly after buying them. It'll be a shame to have to sell them since they were expensive and we won't get what we paid for them.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Don't use them. 20mm is A LOT. Usually spacers are small, like 6mm. 20mm could really give you some problems.

RgrPark

Golden Member
Mar 11, 2000
It all depends on how much extra spacing you require.
Pepboys sells spacers, check there.
However, if you only need about 1/8 more space, i would go to home depot and buy the appropriate washer for each of the lug nuts.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: RgrPark

However, if you only need about 1/8 more space, i would go to home depot and buy the appropriate washer for each of the lug nuts.
You've got to be kidding me:disgust: You would do this on your car? Remind me not to drive where you do.

RgrPark

Golden Member
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Originally posted by: RgrPark However, if you only need about 1/8 more space, i would go to home depot and buy the appropriate washer for each of the lug nuts.
You've got to be kidding me:disgust: You would do this on your car? Remind me not to drive where you do.
And why do you say this? do u think the washers will disappear? they are just as good if not better than the flimsy spacers i have seen. just make sure the washers have a quality rating of at least 8. Most spacers i have seen have large holes for the lugnuts and they are never centered when you place the wheel. the washers are much better suited for the task.

Oh i just checked out your car. Please don't make ANY comments about how *I* treat my car...i feel sorry for your accord.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: RgrPark However, if you only need about 1/8 more space, i would go to home depot and buy the appropriate washer for each of the lug nuts.
And why do you say this? do u think the washers will disappear? they are just as good if not better than the flimsy spacers i have seen. just make sure the washers have a quality rating of at least 8. Most spacers i have seen have large holes for the lugnuts and they are never centered when you place the wheel. the washers are much better suited for the task.

Oh i just checked out your car. Please don't make ANY comments about how *I* treat my car...i feel sorry for your accord.
Right, because I made it better.....

At any rate, I wouldn't use wheel spacers period. At least the disks are flat. Washers are not all exactly the same thickness. Besides that, moving the wheels out away from the bearings puts additional strain on them. Ever think about that?

EDIT: do you even know what all I've done to my car? or are you just basing your statement on the banged up door?

RgrPark

Golden Member
Mar 11, 2000
And why do you say this? do u think the washers will disappear? they are just as good if not better than the flimsy spacers i have seen. just make sure the washers have a quality rating of at least 8. Most spacers i have seen have large holes for the lugnuts and they are never centered when you place the wheel. the washers are much better suited for the task. Oh i just checked out your car. Please don't make ANY comments about how *I* treat my car...i feel sorry for your accord.
Right, because I made it better..... At any rate, I wouldn't use wheel spacers period. At least the disks are flat. Washers are not all exactly the same thickness. Besides that, moving the wheels out away from the bearings puts additional strain on them. Ever think about that? EDIT: do you even know what all I've done to my car? or are you just basing your statement on the banged up door?
I never said spacers are good. I was saying if you only needed 1-2mm to clear the calipers, a washer would be bear since it would only give you the minimum distance needed to clear the calipers or whatever.

As for your car, upgrades should come after you fix the faults on the car, such as the door ding you mentioned.
I really don't understand ricers driving around with dents everywhere or body kits with primer on them, yes always buying other mods instead of fixing it up first.
Sorry nothing personal but i just find cheap mods such as carbon fiber gauge panel, indiglo gauges, razo pedals, and other ebay mods very classless. I think an Accord deserves better...but hey it's your car and if you like it, more power to you.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
And why do you say this? do u think the washers will disappear? they are just as good if not better than the flimsy spacers i have seen. just make sure the washers have a quality rating of at least 8. Most spacers i have seen have large holes for the lugnuts and they are never centered when you place the wheel. the washers are much better suited for the task. Oh i just checked out your car. Please don't make ANY comments about how *I* treat my car...i feel sorry for your accord.
Right, because I made it better..... At any rate, I wouldn't use wheel spacers period. At least the disks are flat. Washers are not all exactly the same thickness. Besides that, moving the wheels out away from the bearings puts additional strain on them. Ever think about that? EDIT: do you even know what all I've done to my car? or are you just basing your statement on the banged up door?
I never said spacers are good. I was saying if you only needed 1-2mm to clear the calipers, a washer would be bear since it would only give you the minimum distance needed to clear the calipers or whatever.

As for your car, upgrades should come after you fix the faults on the car, such as the door ding you mentioned.
I really don't understand ricers driving around with dents everywhere or body kits with primer on them, yes always buying other mods instead of fixing it up first.
Sorry nothing personal but i just find cheap mods such as carbon fiber gauge panel, indiglo gauges, razo pedals, and other ebay mods very classless. I think an Accord deserves better...but hey it's your car and if you like it, more power to you.
Heh. Alright, ebay mods it is:) btw, door ding is getting fixed after get my distributor next week:) You can search for the 4 or 5 page thread debate about whether my car was rice or not;)

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: fredtam
Don't you think those will look a little odd on an 86 300zx.
Shouldn't look too bad. They don't look terribly different from factory 90+ rims, and those look pretty good on a Z31.

ASK THE COMMUNITY