YACT: 97 240sx

magice03

Dec 26, 2000
I am thinking about buying a 240sx. so far I have found a 97 SE model for 8500( probably talk it down a little). The car has about 60000 miles.

How reliable is 240sx? anything to look for when I go for a test drive?

thanks

Lifer

Banned
Feb 17, 2003
where are all the nissan fanboys that will tell you to swap out the engine for a 'JDM' sr20det.
i think they get a kick out of saying 'JDM' because they think it's cool.

Aug 23, 2000
swap it out with a JDM sr20det :p
Seriously, the 97 were cool looking. I wish i had the money to get one. Anyways, it's the same engine that came in the 91's it came in the 240sx, Altima and pick-up. it's a reliable workhorse, it's not going to be fast without some mods, but it is a good engine with lots of potential. The fastest 240 in North America is powered by a KA24de. At 60K miles thou, i'd give it a tune up, and change the timing chain, and your good to go for another 90K miles with just oil changes and a tranny fluid change.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Lifer
where are all the nissan fanboys that will tell you to swap out the engine for a 'JDM' sr20det.

what's wrong with the SR20? that JDM crap is overplayed because idiots call anything on their car JDM. i knew someone with a Jetta calling it JDM. Now that's fvcking ghey. the SR20DET is one badass engine. the KA isn't bad either but if i ever end up with a 240... i know i'm definitely swapping that thing.

joe678

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2001

swap it with a b16a...

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: boyRacer

what's wrong with the SR20? that JDM crap is overplayed because idiots call anything on their car JDM. i knew someone with a Jetta calling it JDM. Now that's fvcking ghey. the SR20DET is one badass engine. the KA isn't bad either but if i ever end up with a 240... i know i'm definitely swapping that thing.

swap it, what happens when something breaks??? you're screwed, you can't just go to autozone and get parts for a sr20det.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski

swap it, what happens when something breaks??? you're screwed, you can't just go to autozone and get parts for a sr20det.

There are parts readily available that you can buy for that SR20Det it'll prolly be expensive tho. I think it's worth it ...for the amount of gains you can get and modding potential.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I'd rather get a '95 if it were me.. then do the SR20DET swap and S15 front end conversion.. ;)

I can only dream :D

Underground727

May 23, 2003
Great car, I happen to have a 1998.

Is that a 5-Speed or an Auto? I'm guessing it's an automatic.

Anyways, I'm leaving for the Army in a few months and will be selling mine.:(

1998 Nissan 240SX SE(~60,000)
Exterior:Super Black
Interior:Charcoal(Not Leather)
Transmission:5-Speed
Options:LSD

$10,000USD

If anyone is interested...

RudeBoie

Platinum Member
Feb 28, 2000
I wish I could get a 240. 8000 is a bit expensive though even if it does have 60k miles.

Nice choice. And put some pics up so we can drool and be jealous : P

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: magice03
it is an auto

Do you mind if its an auto? Anyway thats up to you. If you ever do swap the SR, it'll come with a 5-spd tranny anyway.

But things to watch out for during test drive:
1) Listen for any creacking/groaning noises coming from the rear end when going over bumps. That could mean worn out bushings (sway bar or subframe connectors). Its nothing major, but would be nice to replace.

2) Rev the engine and listen for any rattles...I doubt you'd have it on 60k miles, but listen anyway. If you do hear it, just means the timing chain tensioner has to adjusted (something you could do yourself). The KA24DE uses a chain, not a belt. So you never have to replace the chain, but you do have to adjust the tensioner (or maybe replace).

NOTE: The 240SX is not for everyone. The engine isn't very smooth...its actually brutish. Its much more rough in a 240SX comared to an Altima (which also charged the same engine). I like it that way though. Expect the car to shake a little when you rev it. It makes a great sound in 2nd when your at WOT. The car is extrelemy quiet in terms on windnoise on the highway (due to the slippery shape), but you will hear the engine. Thats up to you, if you don't mind that.

Otherwise it's a great car. If you wanna see pics of the interio, you can check out my previous ride:
Click on 240SX It's a 1995 model, but the interior is 99% the same as the one in the 1998s.

magice03

Dec 26, 2000
I don't mind that it is an auto. I will pay attention to those things tomorrow when I go for a test drive. thanks

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001

well id imagine that if you were impractical enough to swap an SR, you better know what you're doing so if something breaks you don't go shoot yourself because it's gotten more complicated.

toph99

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2000
change the timing chain

why would he change the timing chain? they just stretch but there's no danger of breaking, unless nissan f*cked something up.