YACT: '96 Toyota Camry radiator cracked =(

n0nsensical

Jun 23, 2004
I was driving my car tonight on the highway when all of a sudden, the check engine light goes on and I see that the engine temperature is way too high. Immediately, I pull over and steam just starts pouring out of the hood. When the steam clears, I see a 3-4 inch crack on the top of the radiator. :( Now, I'm not much a car expert so I was wondering if there was anything I could do to fix it before I take it to the shop. The car's already pretty beat up although it only has about 80,000 miles. Any other suggestions or ideas are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Cliff notes:
3-4 inch crack on top of radiator
Any way to seal it by myself or do I need to spend some $$$ to replace it?

BTW: This isn't my car, it's my parents. Apparently they never bothering checking fluids so there was absolutely no engine coolant left in the radiator when it cracked.

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
lots of silicon sealer should do the trick..as a temporary measure so you can drive it to the NEAREST garage to have it fixed

V00DOO

Diamond Member
Dec 2, 2000
Don't be cheap and get a new radiator or else you might be looking at head gasket repair which will cost $1-$2K

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: thechinesehero
Originally posted by: archcommus
I thought Toyotas and Honda were invincible??? :confused:

they are if owners weren't dumb :D

LMAO...it's funny cause it's true...and that goes for most jap cars...and Aussie Fords

iluvtruenos

Banned
Apr 14, 2005
5SFE I4 or something V6?

I think the I4 had a plastic radiator for that year, not really sure as I've worked on only one of each kind, and I remember one version had a plastic radiator.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
...they never bothering checking fluids...

That's the LEAST you can do, if they're footing the bill for everything else. It's going to cost them about $150.00 to replace that one, plus labor, unless you install it... hint, hint.

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
if your car was running without coolant for a significant ammount of time, the radiator might well be the least of your worries, fyi. Don't cheap out man, get it fixed the right way.

n0nsensical

Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: V00DOO
Don't be cheap and get a new radiator or else you might be looking at head gasket repair which will cost $1-$2K

Any rough estimates on the cost for replacing a radiator?

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: iluvtruenos
5SFE I4 or something V6?

I think the I4 had a plastic radiator for that year, not really sure as I've worked on only one of each kind, and I remember one version had a plastic radiator.

Hmm, I was going to post about soldering, but I guess that wouldn't work.

J B Weld?

n0nsensical

Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Ornery
...they never bothering checking fluids...

That's the LEAST you can do, if they're footing the bill for everything else. It's going to cost them about $150.00 to replace that one, plus labor, unless you install it... hint, hint.

Yeah, yeah. I wasn't really trying to blame them or anything. I only drive that particular car maybe twice a week. I figure it was either going to be me or them that would have eventually discovered the problem. I just drew the short straw :( As far as the other car I drive, I try and keep it in tip-top condition.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: n0nsensical

I only drive that particular car maybe twice a week. I figure it was either going to be me or them that would have eventually discovered the problem. I just drew the short straw :( As far as the other car I drive, I try and keep it in tip-top condition. )
Get in the habit of keeping ALL their cars in "tip-top condition". At least check and change the fluids on a set schedule, as well as keeping the tire's air pressure up. No reason you can't keep 'em washed, waxed & vacuumed as well! Start a log of the work done, so you'll know how old the belts, hoses and filters are. There's probably such a log right in the owner's manuals.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Changing a radiator is one of the easier things to do. If you have any tools and half a brain you should be able to do yourself.

iluvtruenos

Banned
Apr 14, 2005
And a jack and two stands high enough to be able to raise the car high enough to drop the radiator from the bottom.....not a simple job without a lift/jack and two high stands.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
And a jack and two stands high enough to be able to raise the car high enough to drop the radiator from the bottom.....not a simple job without a lift/jack and two high stands.

Drop it from the bottom? Never seen a car where you did that. Only thing you normally have to do from the bottom is remove the lower radiator hose. The only thing holding most radiators in is 2 bolts at the top and then they set in something on the bottom. Just pulls right out the top.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
ouch, time to check all fluids and all maintenance. them not checking something as simple as the coolant sorta tells u they probably neglect the rest.

iluvtruenos

Banned
Apr 14, 2005
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf

Drop it from the bottom? Never seen a car where you did that. Only thing you normally have to do from the bottom is remove the lower radiator hose. The only thing holding most radiators in is 2 bolts at the top and then they set in something on the bottom. Just pulls right out the top.

Some cars have metal shielding welded to the frame which forces you to drop it.

n0nsensical

Jun 23, 2004
Alright thanks for the help, guys. I think I'll just buy the radiator and install it myself. It wasn't as expensive as I thought.