YACT: '93 Explorer has a hiccup...HELP!

fonzinator

Nov 5, 2002
A few seconds after coming to a complete stop, I feel like I get bumped by another car from behind. I have my foot firmly on the brake pedal. Could it be the brakes or tranny? BTW...it's an automatic, 4WD, ~147K miles.

fonzinator

Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
When was the last time the driveshaft was lubed?
When an oil change place lubes your chassis, do they also do the driveshaft? If so, then very recently. If not, then I have no idea (read: not recently). :)

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
when an oil place says they lube your vehicle, do they really? ;) Get access to a grease gun and see if they need some lube.

fonzinator

Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
when an oil place says they lube your vehicle, do they really? ;) Get access to a grease gun and see if they need some lube.
Good point. I'll try that, and see if it helps. Thanks!

If anyone else has any other thoughts, please chime in.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Also check for slop in the driveshaft. Turn it, shake it, wobble it. If there excessive moving, your issue may be a u-joint or a few other things.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
when you come to a complete stop, how many RPM is your engine running at? When you feel the bump, what does it jump up to?
I have no idea, I'm just curious

propellerhead

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2001
I have a similar thing on my 96 Ranger. It's like someone pounds their fist on the rear bumper.

It was discussed on a Ford Truck Enthusiasts message board already. I'm not sure where/when. Obviously, I didn't pay much attention to it.

fonzinator

Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: redly1
when you come to a complete stop, how many RPM is your engine running at? When you feel the bump, what does it jump up to?
I have no idea, I'm just curious
At stop, RPMs = ~750-800. The RPMs do not jump at all when I feel the bump. Strange indeed... :)

Originally posted by: propellerhead
I have a similar thing on my 96 Ranger. It's like someone pounds their fist on the rear bumper.
It was discussed on a Ford Truck Enthusiasts message board already. I'm not sure where/when. Obviously, I didn't pay much attention to it.
I'll go poke around Explorer Forums and see if I can find anything.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
known issue with your driveshaft

Lubricate the slip yoke at the front of your rear driveshaft.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
lack of lube is the cause of many many problems, some which can be considered a "hiccup"

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
By lubing the driveshaft he doesn't mean the u-joints. You need to remove the driveshaft and lubicate the slip yoke and transmission splines.

fonzinator

Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: slag
I used to own a 93 Eddie bauer exploder

I now own a 91 eddie bauer exploder

I frequent www.explorerforum.com

I'm rebuilding my a4ld tranny currently in my X.

Joe
Woah...it's gettin weird in here:
I have a '93 EB Explorer (Red/Tan combo). My name is also Joe. :Q

How many miles did you put on your '93 and '91? I'm almost at 150k. She's running 20lbs. low compression in one of the cylinders (has been for years). She keeps goin though!