YACT: $7500.... '98 240SX SE or '94 Volvo Turbo Wagon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Overall, your whole plan sucks to be frank. You are buying an older car for not that much less money, and any savings you make will likely be eaten up by maintenance.

If you really want to save money, sell the car and buy a moped or a $1k beater.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
I'll say it again, Turbo Wagon :D

I have several customer with over 250K miles on their Turbo wagons and they runs just fine. The biggest problem any of them ever had was a couple of headgaskets leaking oil.

P.S. Use the right oil in these motors, they don't like heavy weights.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Quixfire

I have several customer with over 250K miles on their Turbo wagons and they runs just fine. The biggest problem any of them ever had was a couple of headgaskets leaking oil.

Damn, now I want one :D I do remember a friend who test-drove one back in the mid 90's (5 speed 850 turbo sedan). Whoo hoo it was fun!

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb

Damn, now I want one :D I do remember a friend who test-drove one back in the mid 90's (5 speed 850 turbo sedan). Whoo hoo it was fun!
I want a Turbo Wagon too, but Mercedes Benz quit making the 300 TD in 1985. :(

gregshin

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2000
at least when you haul stuff the rear seats can fold down....but the trunk is still tiny

rear seats are useless

the stock KA engine is decet all the way to 3rd gear then you wish you had a turbo or at least 50 more HP.

parts on 240's are pretty cheap too and the KA engine uses a timing chain. The auto tranny is okay for the KA.

car had good brakes and can handle well pending on what tires you have...

why not get an integra? the hatchbacks have nice room to carry stuff.

scroll down the red 240 is mine

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000

You can't even compare the two!

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: NutBucket

You can't even compare the two!
I'm not trying to compare them; I just want a MB Turbo Diesel. I know the 850 Turbo Wagon would own a 300TD in everything but longevity. :D

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
An auto 240sx? Whats the point?

The volvo will be faster and for very little can be made way way faster.

VTEC01EX

Mar 8, 2002
Keep the Civic.

On that note, buy the Wagon (or even the Volvo Sedan) if you buy anything. Having a car that won't work for you even part of the time is annoying if it's your only car. My next car will be a Volvo station wagon.

BTW, I'm also a 21 year old male. My 2001 Civic coupe is great except when I need to put stuff in it, and then it fails miserably. Like last week when I spent a good 15 minutes trying to fit two 21" CRTs in the back seat. After the first 10 minutes of that I realized how great it's going to be to have a wagon.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf

ECU upgrades start at about 2k if I recall correctly. However, the gains are pretty massive. Pretty darn near 300hp:D

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf

ECU upgrades start at about 2k if I recall correctly. However, the gains are pretty massive. Pretty darn near 300hp:D

Forget the ECU upgrades and just slap a $5 boost controller on it. There are ways to add more fuel when you get to the point that you need it without spending $2k.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Get the wagon...

You can see yourself like this... :p granted its not the same exact BTCC car... but i personally dont see how an auto 240sx is fun unless you like doing no talent power slides. :p

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
If you're gonna get one regardless of financial advice to the contrary, at least do yourself a favor and get the wagon. If you're going to get a less practical car like a 240sx, at least get one that's a little more fun.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I have an admitted soft spot for the Volvo turbo bricks (though I like the old 760 Turbos better than the 850 Turbos), but even I would keep the Civic. That thing is not going to have problems until it hits 160,000 to 180,000 miles. Don't get rid of a car until it's worn out. There is absolutely zero sense in trading a newer vehicle for an older one unless you're looking at a weekend car that won't be driven every day. Going from a 2 year old Honda to a 6 year old Nissan (or a 10 year old Volvo) is begging for problems and, quite frankly, just plain stupid.

ZV

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
I don't know if you realize this, but that 240sx will be slow. 10 seconds 0-60. It won't handle that well with the stock tires it probably has, and it generally will suck with the automatic.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
From my experience a 240 is ust as reliable as a Civic.

But a side of me says take the volvo wagon and slap in a 302 and call it a day.

Do it..Do it...it begs you for a V8 swap.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
hmm, let's see.

volvo 850 turbo: 228 HP, totally stealth, you will die before it will

nissan: 155 HP, "ticket me" looks, will be owned by grandpa's in camry's.

your girlfriend will change her tune the first time you put your right foot to the floor and she pees her pants all over the swedish leather heated seats. seriously, just dust a few ricers and she might decide it's kinda cool.

edit: the seller wants about $1200 too much for that volvo turbo (check edmunds or kelly blue book). bargin them down or shop around.

edit 2: you might also look for a 95 850 T5R Wagon. Same car, but with a stiffer suspension and 240 HP.