YACT: $30K or less, torquey engine, RWD/AWD, & reasonable MPG

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
I'm curious. Is it possible to find a RWD/AWD car (prefer sedan, coupe ok), with a torquey V6 or V8, reasonable MPG (say 20+ city?, 28+ hwy?), for low $30K's or less?

I know GM has V8 FWD cars now, and their V6 engines are torquey bitches too, but I'm just not keen on FWD for now.

There's the Infinite G35; 6-speed RWD & 5-speed auto AWD. 298HP V6, but does it got kickass torque on the low end too?

The Charger/Magnum also comes to mind. I like the Magnum RT AWD, spec'd out at like $32K. City mileages are disappointing, even highway too.

Are there any I'm missing?

I was originally infatuated with the Legacy GT 2.5L H-4 TUrbo, but now I'm worried (A) it won't have the low-end torquey driveability that I miss and (B) its highway mileage is relatively crappy (25MPG). I'm hoping more displacement would reduce my turbo lag concerns and perhaps improve mileage slightly?

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
Audi S4

Bi-turbo

" I gave in and bought the GIAC (aka Garrett) chip for my S4 from Dynospot Racing. All I can say is "WOW!" :). The GIAC chip bumps the peak horsepower up to about 310-320, and torque is increased to 350-360lb-ft."

stock is 250hp ;)

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
VW's TDI lineup.
A well equipped Passat is a very nice car, and comes with AWD if you like. The Jetta is FWD only, but again is fairly snappy (Below 40 MPH anyways).

I like the Passat TDI. I drive a Jetta though because I needed function over form so to speak.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Mazdaspeed6... AWD 280 TQ at 2800RPM... 25mpg no turbo lag thanks to direct fuel injection.

I have one... it be niiiiice:)

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Subarus are quick, AWD, and Turbo if you get the right package.

Not sure about the "Torquey" engine though.

You might have to go pretty deep into the used pile.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
I'm curious. Is it possible to find a RWD/AWD car (prefer sedan, coupe ok), with a torquey V6 or V8, reasonable MPG (say 20+ city?, 28+ hwy?), for low $30K's or less?

I know GM has V8 FWD cars now, and their V6 engines are torquey bitches too, but I'm just not keen on FWD for now.

There's the Infinite G35; 6-speed RWD & 5-speed auto AWD. 298HP V6, but does it got kickass torque on the low end too?

The Charger/Magnum also comes to mind. I like the Magnum RT AWD, spec'd out at like $32K. City mileages are disappointing, even highway too.

I was originally infatuated with the Legacy GT 2.5L H-4 TUrbo, but now I'm worried (A) it won't have the low-end torquey driveability that I miss and (B) its highway mileage is relatively crappy (25MPG). I'm hoping more displacement would reduce my turbo lag concerns and perhaps improve mileage slightly?

I was worried about the same things as well, considering I had the WRX before the Legacy GT. The 2.0L in the WRX suffered some serious turbo lag under 3k rpms, but the Legacy GT is 2.5L. There is better low end torque in comparison to the WRX, and the turbo kicks in a lot faster as well. A nice blend of entry-level luxury and great performance.

Edit: Not to mention the great deals you can get on a Legacy GT right now. Use the money you save to get an Accessport to gain even better performance. :)

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
you described something perfectly.

GTO. (but i once think you said you disliked the look)

and the Mustang GT

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
WRX TR might be ok, save you a lot of cash and subaru has cheap financing right now.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE

and the Mustang GT
I'd love a GTO, but I don't think I want one as a daily driver. I figure in a few years I'll pick up a used one for dirt cheap :)

Meh on the Mustang, too cramped for me. Also, trying to keep city mileage around 20MPG, and highway around 28. I'm figuring I'll have to go V6

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
im still going with used S4 (see reason above)

unless youre talking about a brand new car, you wont find one for that price

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: OS
WRX TR might be ok, save you a lot of cash and subaru has cheap financing right now.
They save like $1K off regular WRX, no better MPG, and are unsafe compared to the Legacy. No Imprezas at all for me. :)

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: swtethan

Prefer new, but I'm not really considering Audi. Nice cars I'm sure, but I want something that will last a very very long time or be an incredible value so I don't care.

How are Infiniti's for longevity?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
They save like $1K off regular WRX, no better MPG, and are unsafe compared to the Legacy. No Imprezas at all for me. :)

Oh no, it's unsafe!

Are you buying a sports car or a minivan? I mean, you didn't put "side impact airbags" in your list of requirements.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats

I was worried about the same things as well, considering I had the WRX before the Legacy GT. The 2.0L in the WRX suffered some serious turbo lag under 3k rpms, but the Legacy GT is 2.5L. There is better low end torque in comparison to the WRX, and the turbo kicks in a lot faster as well. A nice blend of entry-level luxury and great performance.

Edit: Not to mention the great deals you can get on a Legacy GT right now. Use the money you save to get an Accessport to gain even better performance. :)
What kind of highway mileage do you get? How is driving with the AC on?

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE

and the Mustang GT
I'd love a GTO, but I don't think I want one as a daily driver. I figure in a few years I'll pick up a used one for dirt cheap :)

Meh on the Mustang, too cramped for me. Also, trying to keep city mileage around 20MPG, and highway around 28. I'm figuring I'll have to go V6

why would you not want one as a Daily?

30mpg highway is easily obtainable.

rear seat legroom is bigger than a WRX.
city mileage, is dependent upon how you drive it ;)
interior is nicer than any subbie ive been in.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Doboji
Mazdaspeed6... AWD 280 TQ at 2800RPM... 25mpg no turbo lag thanks to direct fuel injection.

I have one... it be niiiiice:)
25MPG city or highway? More expensive than the LGT at this point. Interesting about the direct injection. Also IMO 6-speed = more shifting in the city & it is slower than the LGT too ;)

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: notfred

Oh no, it's unsafe!

Are you buying a sports car or a minivan? I mean, you didn't put "side impact airbags" in your list of requirements.

which the 06 WRX does have side airbags :)

I looked up the crash rating on the impreza and it's not perfect, but it does have high marks.

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: swtethan

The performance increase you mentioned before only comes with the previous B5 S4 which is very hard to find with low miles. Also, even a stage I chip adds increase pressure to the turbos which are notorious for blowing and will set you back a pretty penny to replace.