YACT-2006 Accord or 2007 Camry-Buying SOON.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I like the new Accord. And you can't get a 5-spd manual with the V6 in the Camry. I know you don't need/want a V6, or probably a manual either, but I do. :D

Itchrelief

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Raduque
I like the new Accord. And you can't get a 5-spd manual with the V6 in the Camry. I know you don't need/want a V6, or probably a manual either, but I do. :D

Does the manual Camry come with a handbrake? The automatic one I drove has a foot operated parking brake. Seems you'd have to be a pro with the clutch to drive that with a manual in, say, San Francisco.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Itchrelief
Originally posted by: Raduque

Does the manual Camry come with a handbrake? The automatic one I drove has a foot operated parking brake. Seems you'd have to be a pro with the clutch to drive that with a manual in, say, San Francisco.

Camry XLE - with auto tranny standard - has the foot parking brake. The other models have a hand brake in the center console.

Edit >> Actually, that was true for the previous gen Camry. I'm not really sure that's true about the 2007 Camry.

Edit 2 >> After some quick research, it appears all new Camrys have the foot parking brake.

Kung Lau

Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: ed21x
I actually just bought the Accord LX SE two weeks ago, and had previously checked out the Camry as well. I personally didn't like the look of the camry from the outside, especially the giant nose on the front end (looked kinda bangle-ish if you ask me :p). Here was my exhausting comparison (including test drive on both v-4 models)

Camry:
+ better acceleration
+ smaller turn radius
+ quieter ride than the Accord
- the three giant nobs on the front controlling the sound system don't have a very expensive feel
- not as good interior quality (in my opinion) than the Accord

Accord SE
+ includes power mirrors (a nice touch :) )
+ better interior quality (not counting the hard seats, everything just fits together better, with the extra cash, you can upgrade to leather)
+ doors feel heavier
+ 4 wheel anti-lock brakes
- negatives are listed above...

both cars come standard with power windows, power door locks, 6 cd player, fold down rear seats.

to be honest, alot of what pulled me in was the styling in the front... i just found the accord more attractive. feel free to ask questions if you need,

I concur with most of these points: however, I leaned slightly over to the Camry in exterior styling. (purely subjective) If I could have it my way, my car would like the Camry, drive like the Accord and have it's interior.

That's why I'm going to go drive the Passat tomorrow. I hear it's got great interior fit and finish and a nice ride. Of course, it's not in the same league as the big two in reliability.

Oh, and one more thing. The Camry seat was full power adjustable. The Accords was not. That's becoming more important to me as I have back trouble and often adjust on long drives.

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
well.

i was in the EXACT same boat as you.

it was 2007 Camry LE 4 cylinder vs. 2006 Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder

the LE camry sticker price was $23.2K with standard options (no bells and whistles really).

they charged a $1K market adjustment (BS) + t.t.l. it was around $26.1K.

my dad negotiated down to $24.5K but it was still too much.

since he owned a 2006 Honda Accord EX-L 4 cylinder he really wanted me to get one.

he test drove the camry and said it felt about the same.

in the end, i ended up getting the 2006 Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder.

sticker price was $23.8 before t.t.l.

after t.t.l. it was $22.9K but the car had a lot of options that the camry LE didn't have such as sunroof.

oh, i got my car today! :)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: DLeRium
wtf current camry is FUGLY seriously... I don't get how anyone could really like it. it looks like a freaking bangle-butt from behind and a beluga whale from teh front.. ugh..

you can't go wrong buying either, but I pick the 2006 Accord over hte 07 Camry anyday. Maybe with later generations it will reverse, but not yet...

fixed

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Kung Lau
Originally posted by: ed21x
I actually just bought the Accord LX SE two weeks ago, and had previously checked out the Camry as well. I personally didn't like the look of the camry from the outside, especially the giant nose on the front end (looked kinda bangle-ish if you ask me :p). Here was my exhausting comparison (including test drive on both v-4 models)

Camry:
+ better acceleration
+ smaller turn radius
+ quieter ride than the Accord
- the three giant nobs on the front controlling the sound system don't have a very expensive feel
- not as good interior quality (in my opinion) than the Accord

Accord SE
+ includes power mirrors (a nice touch :) )
+ better interior quality (not counting the hard seats, everything just fits together better, with the extra cash, you can upgrade to leather)
+ doors feel heavier
+ 4 wheel anti-lock brakes
- negatives are listed above...

both cars come standard with power windows, power door locks, 6 cd player, fold down rear seats.

to be honest, alot of what pulled me in was the styling in the front... i just found the accord more attractive. feel free to ask questions if you need,

I concur with most of these points: however, I leaned slightly over to the Camry in exterior styling. (purely subjective) If I could have it my way, my car would like the Camry, drive like the Accord and have it's interior.

That's why I'm going to go drive the Passat tomorrow. I hear it's got great interior fit and finish and a nice ride. Of course, it's not in the same league as the big two in reliability.

Oh, and one more thing. The Camry seat was full power adjustable. The Accords was not. That's becoming more important to me as I have back trouble and often adjust on long drives.

in that case, maybe you should look into the EX accord like Shimmishim. It is pretty much an Accord SE with an added driver's side power seat and sun roof. Even with the upgrade, it is still in the same price range as a camry, and only costs around $2.5k more than the SE.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
This is the most boring thread ever.

They'll both be dead reliable, efficient, and practical.
I say, it comes down to which makes you fall asleep less often while you're driving- take them for test drives, and buy the one you hate the least.