YACT: 2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro vs. 2001 BMW 325xi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mitaiwan82

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2000
probably go with the bimmer

ever looked at the WRX? way faster than both those cars, but not as high class though

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: mitaiwan82
probably go with the bimmer

ever looked at the WRX? way faster than both those cars, but not as high class though

By the sounds of things he wants luxury/comfort over speed. The WRX will rattle your teeth out because of the suspension and isn't exactly adorned with luxury goodies.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The Audi's all-wheel drive system in the A4 is far superior to the BMW's system.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: Triumph
The Audi's all-wheel drive system in the A4 is far superior to the BMW's system.

Aside from Quattro having a great rep, what makes it superior?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: geno

Didn't you just answer the question in the question?

:confused:

Asharus

Oct 6, 2001
If your budget is $21k, you're obviously not going to be buying new, correct? If that is the case, and if I were in your shoes, I would be looking at E39 BMWs (540, 530, 528, 525) if AWD is not "required". There are tons of 'em out there around that price. Personally, I think that the 3 series is weak in the rear leg-room department.

BUT, if you're really leaning towards one of the two above, I have no place to say anything, since I have never been in the new A4. They do have a rather nice exterior! I have driven a friend's '00 A6 though, and I can tell ya that it definitely didn't have the "driver's car" feel to it, although the interior was quite nice, and had MUCH more room in the rear than my old 5.

Boogak

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Asharus
If your budget is $21k, you're obviously not going to be buying new, correct? If that is the case, and if I were in your shoes, I would be looking at E39 BMWs (540, 530, 528, 525) if AWD is not "required". There are tons of 'em out there around that price. Personally, I think that the 3 series is weak in the rear leg-room department.

BUT, if you're really leaning towards one of the two above, I have no place to say anything, since I have never been in the new A4. They do have a rather nice exterior! I have driven a friend's '00 A6 though, and I can tell ya that it definitely didn't have the "driver's car" feel to it, although the interior was quite nice, and had MUCH more room in the rear than my old 5.

The 01 A4 he's considering is the older bodystyle.

Asharus

Oct 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Boogak

ACK! Definitely the 3 then if that is that case...

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

ACK! Definitely the 3 then if that is that case...

Ack?! What the hell is wrong with the bodystyle of the 01?

Asharus

Oct 6, 2001
The older A4 looks dated, besides, it's just a Jetta, just like the A6 is just a Passat.

Boogak

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
The older A4 looks dated, besides, it's just a Jetta, just like the A6 is just a Passat.

Actually the A4 is a Passat and the Jetta is the Golf platform IIRC (also the Beetle and TT)?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

And Lexus is a Toyota, etc etc etc.
rolleye.gif

Asharus

Oct 6, 2001

Actually the A4 is a Passat and the Jetta is the Golf platform IIRC (also the Beetle and TT)?

Definitely not, the A6 is built on the Passat chassis. Just take a look at the cars side by side.

KevinH

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Mill

And Lexus is a Toyota, etc etc etc.
rolleye.gif

Heh, but driving a Jetta, I can tell you that MANY parts for Jettas are shared with the A4. Shudder....

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001

You can lift up one side of the car so only two wheels say on the passanger side were making contact on ICE, and it would still go straight if floored (i've read this on www.audiworld.com). Audi came out first with FWD (I think audi was the first to develop fwd in a production car), then moved to AWD. The quattro system is one of the best if not the best out there in terms of AWD (4wd and awd are different), I wonder how'd it compare to the new G35X....

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb

Not really, I stated that Quattro has a better reputation, that doesn't make it a better system by default ;)

You can lift up one side of the car so only two wheels say on the passanger side were making contact on ICE, and it would still go straight if floored (i've read this on www.audiworld.com). Audi came out first with FWD (I think audi was the first to develop fwd in a production car), then moved to AWD. The quattro system is one of the best if not the best out there in terms of AWD (4wd and awd are different), I wonder how'd it compare to the new G35X....
And how does that compare with BMW's AWD?

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb

Not really, I stated that Quattro has a better reputation, that doesn't make it a better system by default ;)

And how does that compare with BMW's AWD?

BMW's awd system on the 3 series is not that good comapred to the Quattro system. I read this a while back in Car and Driver magazine when they compared the two systems. Think about this too; Audi has been deveoping and improving AWD
for quite some time. BMW is primarily a RWD (the 3 series and the suvs they make i think are the only cars they offer awd on) focused company. It would be safe to say that Audi would have considerably more experience in making their AWD system one of the best, better than the 3 series one. IMO, I think BMW's awd system just makes the car slower and heavier than it needs to be. I were to choose between the two, I'd definately get the Audi quattro. But for crisp handling thats been upheld throughout the years in car magazine tests, I'd get a base bmw, their rwd platform has been refined to benchmark quality.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
I realize that Audi has been doing this for YEARS more than BMW has, and I wouldn't for a second doubt that Quattro is better. But I'm curious to know how one can say that it's "far superior", what about it makes it far superior as an AWD system? Better torque diversion? Less understeer than most AWD systems? More intelligent distribution of power during normal driving?

Just looking for some facts, that's all :)

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
If you're buying a car at a dealer, also take into account the level of service you are given at this dealer. In my opinion this is very, very important. I bought my Mitsubishi Lancer a bit on impulse... and I didn't really pay much attention to the dealer, I was inexperienced. Not to say I made a mistake, I love the car - it's better value than every car I've compared it to. But - the dealer is absolute sh!t and for that reason I will never buy a vehicle from them again. There is a Mitsubishi dealer I know of that is good, and I may buy an EVO from them... but otherwise I won't even consider a Mitsubishi, based solely on the experience of being shafted at numerous Mitsubishi dealers.

Now, for bang-for-buck the Mitsubishi Ralliart is hard to beat, in terms of performance as well. However if you are looking at A4 and 325, I would definitely have to recommend the 325. I say this not having test driven the Audi, though. I did test drive the BMW 325i and I absolutely loved it. Had I the down payment at the time Id probably have traded in my Lancer and got the BMW.

The handling was amazing, even at 170KMH. And that's another thing.. I showed up to the dealer in my baggy sweater and baggy jeans, greasy hair and he still treated me professionally and with respect, and offered a test drive. The service at that dealer was exceptional. The salesman was not pushy nor shady. I would buy from them just for that level of service. Also their warranty service was amazing where I went. Basically you will only ever pay for your brakes or tires or whatever. Everything is guaranteed (they are confident about their product) - they offered free lifetime oil changes, even though it only NEEDS an oil change every 20,000KM!

I don't know how Audi is but unless the driving feel and customer service is at least better than BMW, I would get the BMW. The BMW also had exceptional value. For a base price of $35k CANADIAN, the 320i was incredible value. However I test drove the 325i with sports package (17" mags) fully loaded for $45k CAN.

I don't know about the AWD systems of Audi and BMW - I would take just the RWD BMW. They still have a whole buttload of traction and directional stability control technologies you may want to take into account. A backwheeldrive BMW with good tires will fare very well in poor conditions despite not being AWD.

I guess anything is better in the winter than my lancer with 14" donut wheels and horrible (and bald) tires... ;)