YACLT: Selling my car on craigslist and pretty sure someone is tryin to scam me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
and obviously i'm not going to fall for it, but i figured i'd explain it here, as i did a google search on the email they sent me and got no hits.

so it started yesterday with an email of "her" asking "hey what's the mileage?" when i CLEARLY have a picture of the cluster, and state the mileage in the title and description.

so i replied back and told them, and also said check out all the info in the post that explains it in details with a ton of pics. this was the email i received today...

stupid bitch said:
Awesome, I think that’s going to work for me. My husband Ray is (very generously) paying for it. Our agreement is that he buys the car for me, if I cover the cost of the policy. I can definitely afford it, but he still wants me to give him a rough idea of the cost before he spends a bunch of money on me.

I’m at work, and they allow internet usage to internal websites only. Would you do me a favor, and go to Auto Quotes and run a quote for me, so I have something to show him? We're local, with 0 recent tickets or accidents. Just let me know what the premium is and we’ll stop by once I leave work today, if that works for you.

Thanks and look forward to meeting up!

Michelle

the "Auto Quotes" text in the email was a link going to (PROBABLY DO NOT WANT TO GO TO THIS LINK) Removedwhich I am not even clicking on (which could possibly be the scam maybe or trojan or something).

oh, and on top of that, she sent me an email from her yahoo account, yet she clearly states that she cannot get to external websites outside of work...

so just curious, if anyone knows what this scam may be about. i replied "how bout you check yourself and get back to me" and im not expecting a reply back, but i was thinking maybe it would be one of those money order scams, or they send a check for more than the asking amount, then ask me to send them the difference back.

just curious if anyone knows.

Link removed. Please don't place links here that you do not know where they end up.

It's possible it could be malware or not. But we won't take that chance

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 20, 2005
So you think the site is a scam/trojan/etc, yet you still have it linked on here for others to click on?

Why don't you just remove the url tags and leave the url there?

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
I think the link is probably the scam. Someone gets over-enthusiastic and clicks on the link and it installs a trojan/keylogger/other fun stuff to grab and transmit financial/other. Then they laugh all the way to the bank.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So you think the site is a scam/trojan/etc, yet you still have it linked on here for others to click on?

Why don't you just remove the url tags and leave the url there?

did you not see the warning in caps/bold right before the link?

additionally, when i remove the URL tags the forum automatically adds them back for me, which is why i even put the warning there in the first place.

Oct 20, 2005
did you not see the warning in caps/bold right before the link?

additionally, when i remove the URL tags the forum automatically adds them back for me, which is why i even put the warning there in the first place.

I did see it, but why still let others maybe accidentally click on it?

BTW, you can disable the auto linking by unchecking the "automatically parse links" when you make a post. (you also will need to remove the url tags)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I did see it, but why still let others maybe accidentally click on it?

BTW, you can disable the auto linking by unchecking the "automatically parse links" when you make a post. (you also will need to remove the url tags)

i did not know that because i never use advanced mode to post/edit.

removed it though.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I looked through the source, and nothing jumped out at me. I don't know the deal, but the site looks legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.