YAC(ooking)T: Do you always rinse your rice before cooking it?

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
My mom's a hillbilly so there wasn't a lot of rice cooking going on in my house when I was growing up... lots of fried chicken, biscuits, cornbread... not a lot of asian food.

My daughter likes rice balls for lunch, so I've started making rice for her in our rice maker... should I always rinse the rice first or not...

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
I don't know that it matters. I usually do beforehand, my missus usually rinses after cooking.

Doesn't taste noticeably different...

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
Rinsing removes nutrients supposedly...I never rinse it either way. That seems like it would take something easy and make it more difficult.

Rice in pan. Water in pan. Pinch of coarse kosher salt if I remember. Flame. Turn down. Simmer and stir once or twice. Serve.

imported_elwood

Jun 6, 2004
I just add the water and some salt and pick out any bad looking pieces of rice that are floating. No rinsing. My grandparents and parents add a little vinegar to their rice also, not sure what it does, never really noticed a difference in taste.

rootaxs

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2000
For white rice, it can go either way. It mostly depends on how you cook it. On a rice cooker, it doesn't matter. If you cook using a covered pot, it helps to rinse it a couple of times to get rid of the powdery starch which bubbles up and overflows as the rice cooks.

For brown rice, washing and or keeping it in the water for a bit longer before cooking also helps soften it a little (less cooking time).

I usually cook in a pot, it's faster, easier and cheaper. No salt or stirring required.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Exterous
I vote for the 'never rinsed' option

i vote this also, mainily as any rice i make i either cook in the bag itself, or its some flavored rice like Black Beans and rice which you just pour into the pot of water

elektrolokomotive

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2004
I never rinse. Put in bowl, add water, drop into large saucepan with steamer insert. Steam for 30 minutes. Perfect sticky rice, no risk of scorching. I have a Krups rice cooker, but I noticed that if you only make a small amount of rice, the risk of scorching is elevated, and frequently occurs. Since I'm just cooking for one, I rarely need more that 1 cup of cooked rice at a time. Variation: sometimes I use home made chicken stock instead of water in the rice bowl.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
It depends on how starchy you want your rice. I dont rinse. Here is a tip though, NEVER rinse pasta after cooking. You rinse away the starch and the sauce has nothing to cling to.

Edit: It depends on the type of rice too. Some rice you *have* to rinse.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Never rinse.

1. Use cup that came with cooker to measure 2 'cups' jasmine rice into bowl.
2. Use same cup to put in 2 1/2 'cups' of water.
3. Stick in cooker, press button.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I stopped doing it recently as an experiment. I don't like it super starchy, but when rinsing I find it actually comes out worse because we have such hard water. For some reason the hard water is much less of a problem when I don't rinse. It's weird... I'm boiling with the same water...

Glayde

Sep 30, 2004
With all the differnet answers, i propose you compromise.

Wash the top half of each grain and leave the bottom half unwashed.