YAC[at]T: Is it better get a mixed cat from adoption center or a pure bred one from breeder?

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
or does it not matter and all cats pretty much act the same?

i know for dogs, it's sometimes important to get a purebred if you are looking for something specific...

EvanGeliSt

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2002
Just an opinion...

My sister has like 10 cats already...but she regrets not having a pure bred one - well at least to her they look nicer (maine my excellent compatriot + Norwegian forest)...

Lounatik

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Get to a shelter. There are literally hundreds upon hundreds of animals that are put down each week. I've gotten 3 of my cats from the shelter and I dont regret it. Think about it : You have some animal that has been on the streets eating garbage and whatnot, always in fear and in the elements. you dont think that animal is going to be grateful to you for saving it? I know I sound totally goofy, but shelter animals are the best ones to get.

Why not give an animal a second chance(hell, get two!)

Peace

Lounatik

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
You can more closely pick the personality of your cat if you get a purebred, we have a Sphynx & a Devon Rex Their personality's are very similar to the breed description.

I've had a cat or 2 that was so independent it was like not really having a pet, they were too independent.

If you're looking for a purebred, pay close attention to breed specific problems & tell the breeder you're looking for a "pet quality" animal, they usually have some lower quality (to them) animals around @ wholesale prices.

Whatever you get, have it spayed or neutered.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Different breeds have different characteristics, (I like Siamese myself, see sig). But generally, you are best just going to the humane society (or local equivalent) and getting a cat that needs a good home.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
shelter. you'll be able to tell their personality with a little time spent right there, before you take them home.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I agree get a shelter cat. Purebreeds are expensive compared to a mix/mutt from the petstore.

Also, when it's a kitten give it plenty of love and attention, and if it runs away just chase it and continue to force yourself on it :) When it grows up it will become attached to you and be more like a pet than some useless rodent that uses you only for food. Worked with both of our cats :D

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I agree get a shelter cat. Purebreeds are expensive compared to a mix/mutt from the petstore.

Also, when it's a kitten give it plenty of love and attention, and if it runs away just chase it and continue to force yourself on it :) When it grows up it will become attached to you and be more like a pet than some useless rodent that uses you only for food. Worked with both of our cats :D

I demand videos of Skoorb chasing cats

Seriously though, you need a digi-video cam for the baby pics Skoorb:D

I stalk our cats when I'm bored, the Sphynx can jump several feet in the air when he's frightened:D

veggiefrog

Jan 4, 2004
definitely the shelter cat!
we have about 11 cats in the US (my mother runs a kinda shelter in our house, hence the 11 -- we find them on the streets or from shelters about to be put down or from ppl who cant have them anymore) and 2 in the UK at the moment -- they've all been rescued.... what personalities they are! i swear they know when u've rescued them and they are so loving and thankful. we've also had pure breds that we found homes for (pure black maine my excellent compatriot/himalayan/etc) and they were so fussy and spoiled, complete brats.
i guess it all comes down to the actual cat, but i'd rescue an animal rather than buy from a cat farm. :)

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
We have one of each. A purebred crazy whatchamacallit, and a mut from the humane center.

If I had to classify them into people groups, I would say the purebred is the rich (from old money) snotty stuck up prim b!tch, and the mut is the good natured but really dumb guy you'll see in lots of bars.

I like the mut lots more. He is more fun than the other.

and since the humane society center people whatever 'fixed' him early in his life, he is quite large (The earlier you fix a male cat, the bigger they get. Within limits).

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Pure bred animals are always stupider and have more health problems if you ask me, simply because they are the product of inbreeding.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
We've gotten all 3 of our cats from shelters. The first one lived 15 years and was extremely loyal and friendly. He liked me more than the rest of the family, so he spent most of his time wherever I was. He even tried to clean my hair a few times when I was sitting on the floor.

Second cat was great for about 2 years until we got the third cat. Now she's only lets me pet her when she knows I'm going to put her in the basement (can't trust the cats upstairs when no one is home). Third cat we got when it was only a few weeks old. They don't generally give them to you unless they're at least 8 weeks old I think, but his mother was hit by a car. He had diarhea for the first week or so, and we almost took him back because we thought he wasn't going to survive. We kept him though, and he's an even better cat than the first one. He's very small and playful, didn't really grow out of the kitten stage. He follows me everywhere and begs for attention. He's the greatest pet I could imagine.

I don't see any reason to spend a ton of money on a purebred. How much do they go for? $500+?

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Get a ragdoll they are so cute....

Or try a Japanese Bobtail if you want a very smart cat.