YABT?(yet another bike thread) bikers help

Oct 9, 1999
I used to do the BMX racing thing when I was young and also freestyling/gringing. My Haro was stolen after about 4 years ago and Im looking to get back into the bike thing to help me get in better shape than I am. Im not wanting a mountain bike, but I am looking to freestyling,grind,and build a track with mounds and jump.

Im not wanting to spend a whole lot since I dont know how long Ill stick to it. Im looking for a bmx bike that will have pegs(or let me add them) gyro(rotor?), decent brakes for endos and stability when I jump over hills/mounds, etc.

Ive found a few mongoose BMX bikes at the local walmart and target and they vary between $80 and $135. Im wanting to keep it under 150 but will spend 150 if its a pretty decent bike for a "beginner" I guess you could say.

Any bike experts out there see a problem with me purchasing a mongoose from walmart to play around with?

LMK your suggestions or any link that would be helpful.

Thx

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
i had bought a mongoose. i loved it- cheap, pretty strong for my needs (no extreme mountain biking.)

a little on the heavy side, and probably not as strong as the more expensive bikes (duh), but definitely fun to "play around" with.

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: DeathByAnts
<---sees either Rossman or Brukenstend(or whatever it is) posting here soon

brutuskend or something, right??

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
If you buy a bike from Walmart, get someone experienced to tune it for you.. they normally come assembled pretty badly.

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: screw3d
If you buy a bike from Walmart, get someone experienced to tune it for you.. they normally come assembled pretty badly.

ok how much do you think that would cost? is there any way I could do it or what? are you talking about just tightening everything or what?

thx