YABeerT - Need to find a decent beer that doesn't break the bank

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
Basically, I need to find something that I can go to any normal grocery store and pay <$6 for a 6-pack or <$13 for a 12-pack. My normal taste in beer is for the darks, so a decent, cheap dark beer would be great if you know of any...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It's hard to say given the pretty inconsistent distribution across grocery chains/regions.

For cheap(er), dark, and somewhat widely available Sierra Nevada Porter or Boulevard Bully Porter are decent choices. Usually right around $6 a sixer in my area and found at a lot of grocery stores.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Leinenkugels Honey Weiss or Red.

Sams I can get them for $19 or so for a 24 pack of bottles.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
Thanks for the ideas - I'll see if I can find any of these in my area.

broon

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2002
If I want cheap beer I will buy Boulevard ($16 for a 20 pack) or Redhook ($12 for a 12 pack). Sometimes I can find Harp and Bass for $10-$11 for a 12 pack.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
dude, if beer is breaking the bank, maybe you should stop drinking beer...

It's not breaking the bank for real, I'm just tired of spending $8 or more for a 6-pack for "premium" beers (or $12 for a 4 pack of St Bernardus...but that's the best beer in the world IMO, so it's worth it a few times a year). When I have beer, I drink one with dinner every day until I run out, and once I run out, I usually go a few weeks before I buy it again (laziness).

KoolAidKid

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2002
Hard to say given that most beers are not available nationwide, but I find that Negra Modelo is available pretty much everywhere and is pretty good for the price.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Leinie's Creamy Dark
Trader Joe's here has a 'Stockyard' Oatmeal stout that's good
Capital's Wisconsin Amber is tasty
Red Hook beers are usually not to expensive and I've liked them.

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
penny for penny, pint for pint, pabst blue ribbon is one of the best beers on the market. it actually tastes like a beer and it is cheap.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
If you want a great tasting beer that is just a bit more than Amber Bock or a higher quality domestic, try Blue Moon. It's a Belgian-style white bier that has a nice light citrusy hops flavor. I drink this stuff weekly and it's right up there as one of my favs. $6.49/6pk. $11.50/12pk.

Walmart carries it.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: SirChadwick
If you want a great tasting beer that is just a bit more than Amber Bock or a higher quality domestic, try Blue Moon. It's a Belgium-style white bier that has a nice light citrusy hops flavor. I drink this stuff weekly and it's right up there as one of my favs. $6.49/6pk. $11.50/12pk.

Walmart carries it.

I've seen that in stores here - I'll try it next time I go out.

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Originally posted by: RichardE
I wish Beer was this cheap in Canada :(

so the movie "strange brew" isn't really indicative of a normal canadians day-to-day life?

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: SirChadwick
Let me know what you think. It may not be for everyone, but all of my friends who have tried it love it. I also suggest picking up an orange and yes, fruiting the beer to bring out the most flavor. I was instantly hooked.

http://www.mylifeisbeer.com/beer/bottles/bottledetail/131/

Blue Moon is a poor mans version of Hoegaarden - my fav by far, but $8.99/6pk.

hoegaarden tastes like fvcking piss

blue moon is one of my favs though

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
Leinenkugels Honey Weiss or Red.

Sams I can get them for $19 or so for a 24 pack of bottles.
You probably won't find Leine's much outside of the Minnesota/Wisconsin/Illinois/Iowa borders. Atleast I don't remember seeing it in either Colorado or here in Florida...IMO, Leine's isn't all that great anway.

Originally posted by: rdubbz420
yuengling
Great beer, but I didn't think it was sold outside of either Pennsylvania/Tri-state area or Florida.

And in case anyone suggests it, Fat Tire isn't available east of Nebraska.

Maybe some Mississippi Mud? How much is that? Killian's and Molson are okay reds. Dose Equis (sp?) and Negro Modelo are decent ambers.

Blue Moon is great, but that's a wheat beer, not dark. However, if you like dark you'd probably like wheat. I suggest trying Arrogant Bastard Ale, even though it's not in your intended price range, it'll put hair on your chest.

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: KoolAidKid
Hard to say given that most beers are not available nationwide, but I find that Negra Modelo is available pretty much everywhere and is pretty good for the price.

A great brown ale, and my favorite mexican beer.

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2

yuengling
Great beer, but I didn't think it was sold outside of either Pennsylvania/Tri-state area or Florida.

Its been in the DC area for a while now. not sure about other areas.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
yuengling

Good brew, but not widely available. Wish I could get it in AZ. A buddy in NC told me it recently became available there.