YABBT (yet another bestbuy thread)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
michael douglas
falling down
how far are you willin to go to compel bb to
"serve you breaksfast after 10:30"???
:D

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
So, based on your update, pick the laptop up, take it home and restore it to the original OS...THEN, if you continue having the problems, take it back.

If you don't have a copy of the original Vista 64 bit OS, I'm sure there are tons of copies floating around from the "Feedback Panel" giveaway a couple of years ago. I know I have 2 copies myself.

I've got my restore disks so that's one option (install it myself and do all the updates) but I have a feeling they'll claim that I didn't do it right or that they need to do it themselves in order for it to work (aka find any way possible to charge me $130)

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Bummer. Try a different version of your video drivers? That's about all you can do.

I'll try it again when I get my laptop back. But it crashed out of the blue one day (last vid card driver update before then was months before) which is the main reason I suspected it's a hardware issue. That and the fresh installs resulting in the same crashing as soon as I use the non std vga driver

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
If you have the extended warranty, brick the thing by doing a BIOS update and pull the battery out in the middle of the BIOS flash. Lets see them try to diagnose that.

Do it a couple of times until they agree to replace the laptop with an equivalent model or something that costs as much as you originally paid for it.

PS:
I hate Best Buy.

This.

Also, OP this sounds to me like it very well could be a software issue.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
This.

Also, OP this sounds to me like it very well could be a software issue.

I'm not sure how to fix it then.

Cause the laptop crashed one day out of the blue when playing WoW. Rebooting would cause it to crash before logging in or at the login screen. Safe mode would work fine. Uninstalled the vid card driver in safe mode and rebooted in reg mode and it worked fine. Installed the vid card driver and it crashed again. Wiped the hdd and reinstalled windows fresh, booted up fine did all the windows updates which involved multiple reboots and it worked fine. As soon as I got the vid card driver and installed it, rebooting caused it to lock up.

SR1729

Jan 11, 2010
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, OP. It amazes me in this day and age that people still buy more than a discount DVD from BB. I suppose we all have to learn our lesson at some point :(