YAB(owling)T

Geocentricity

Sep 13, 2006
I don't know whether its my form or not, but my fingers feel sore for a few days after I go bowling.

Also, who here bowls well and has some pointers to give? :p

I'm considering getting my own shoes to lower the cost of going each time, but how important is having your own custom ball versus finding a ball already on the rack that is a good fit?

NOTE: I need some pointers for feet position too, cause the way I hook my last step comes awkward and my left ankle is usually facing in the 1 to 2 oclock direction

Wapp

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
I reached pro level in Wii Sports after like four games. What do you need to know?

PaNsyBoy8

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2001
i'm not great, but here are the tips i was given when i started.

grab your ear as you follow through on your release, it helps you throw straight.

release the ball with your thumb at 10:00 (if you are right handed), this will give you a slight hook.

get shoes because if you plan to go more than 4 times, it pretty much pays it off.

as for the ball. at first it may not seem like a big deal, but when you go and realize you can't find a ball that fits, thats when u realize that perhaps having a custom ball might just be a good idea. this actually happened to a friend of mine this past week, we went last week and he found a ball that fit perfectly, we went again this week and someone was using that ball, the game becomes a lot less fun sinceyou can't control the ball like you normally would.

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
my fingers hurt afterwards as well.

i'm guessing it's because i always choose balls with larger holes than i really need.

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
i haven't done 10 pin alot but i did candlepin for about 10 years (it's a northeast thing). Definately investing in bowling balls made for you and shoes not only help you save money but will help improve your game alot. I got a set of bowling balls made so that were heavier than the alley ones because i would try to use the alley ones and would hurt my shoulder because i would end up throwing to hard. As opposed to my customs that were heavier so i didn't throw so fast and hurt my arm.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Get a ball that is the right size and with holes that fit (not tight, not loose).

Don't try to throw the ball as hard as you can.

ALWAYS START WALKING FROM THE SAME BOARDS ON THE FLOOR!!! If you notice the floor they have little boards. Always start from the same boards and focus your attention at the arrows at the front part of the lane. You are trying to roll the ball over a specific spot you choose. If you can get to a point where you can hit the same spot repeatedly while starting at the same spot, then you and adjust, board by board, left or right depending on where you're hitting the pins.

Consistency is the key to bowling.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hmm holding your ear while releasing to make the ball go straight? I'll have to try that. I find that's my biggest problem personally and I think it's probably because I'm used to sports with higher amounts of wrist movement. I also had trouble with too much wrist movement in Tennis when I first started playing.

I always end up with wrist pain if I play more than one game while bowling... I usually try to find a lighter ball to help lessen the load on the wrist because of this. Then there's my awkward step/form that messes up my right leg for the next couple days :p. I think it's safe to say that I don't do anything normally (not even holding a pencil :Q).

yosuke188

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2005
My fingers hurt a bit after bowling a couple games, but I think that's because I bowl with 2 fingers.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
http://www.openbowl.com/viewstandings.aspx?leagueid=94

That's the only league I bowl on this year... Steve Crane, bowler 24. 199 average, nothing spectacular but not bad. The only tips I can give someone would be to be sure to get your footwork down before working on the other stuff. Your approach will effect everything you do. You can throw a perfect ball, but if your feet are fast/slow or you are drifting then you'll struggle.

Gagabiji

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by: yosuke188
My fingers hurt a bit after bowling a couple games, but I think that's because I bowl with 2 fingers.

How the fsck do you bowl with 2 fingers?

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
I'm in the 180's, bowl 2 leagues. Bowled my high series a couple weeks ago, 758 :)

Basics are footwork and timing. Then you just need to learn to be consistent with it.

Having a ball that's drilled for you helps a lot. It eliminates inconsistencies with your release, plus it's a lot easier to generate lift off a fingertip grip rather than conventional. Shoes are good too. Also strongly recommend getting a pair with rubber non-slide (so if you're a right handed bowler, the right shoe doesn't slide). Dynothane Sport Classic and Dexter SST1 would be good for starters.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Gagabiji
Originally posted by: yosuke188

How the fsck do you bowl with 2 fingers?

He's palming the ball.