XP Users Are You Happy Or Sad?

Ducksoup

Oct 18, 2000
I just wonder how Xp users feel about the new operating system. Guess I'm ready to make the upgrade. I have so many versions windows 3.1,95,98,98se and 2000. It would be nice if Bill would give discounts for each version.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I built a new AMD based PC and installed WinXP Pro on it,it`s rock stable infact I`ve not gone back to my other PC which has Win98 on it for awhile now,I mainly use mine for gaming and general use .

So no complaints yet with WinXP :).
Lucky I never upgraded to Win2k ;).

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I put XP Pro on three systems, including my laptop. There was a lot of preparation involved, and when the dust cleared, they all worked just fine. That was in November. Since then we have refined things, updated drivers and cleaned up dead wood, and the result is three very happy computers. There are some frustrating times in the network area, but that is because of XP Pro's security, and we're learning to live with it.

There are some system enhancers I would not be without . . . Tweak.ui for XP, and Microangelo for total icon control in XP.

ojai00

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
I'm pretty happy with XP. Like corky-g said it's pretty stable...I had it up for about 11 days without a restart :p After you get used to the interface, it's a pretty good OS. Hope this helps.

Bozo

Oct 22, 1999
I find a lot of quirky little things that don't work right. Like XP doesn't remember the window size in IE. If you can, wait until the first service pack comes out.

Bozo :D

btvillarin

Nov 3, 2001

<< I find a lot of quirky little things that don't work right. Like XP doesn't remember the window size in IE. If you can, wait until the first service pack comes out.

Bozo :D
>>

...might wanna read this thread :)

mbt

Sep 23, 2001
the 2000/XP core is very very stable... that much i can confidently say from my own experience. i've got an XP network server running 24/7 for the past three weeks and it hasn't needed a restart since that day. no lockups so far. amazing. before that, my own machine running 2000 was the server, and it was on 18/7 everyday for 8 months or so. no lockups or BSODs...

i kinda prefer 2000's simpler no-frills design though. XP has so much useless stuff i'd rather have disabled, and this is the Pro version!!! why, even finding system config options can be tedious with XP and all of it's "user-friendly" control panel and menus. but you'll learn to live with it though, and i actually prefer the more colorful interface (i like the interface, i just don't like all the bloatware and the for-the-dunderhead "protection")

:)

mattbta

Dec 15, 2001
brotherson.com
I've got it on all my workstations/laptops. Use it to connect to my domain controller. I think it's rock stable in my applications. Got it on my parent's pc's. Works great for me!

SyahM

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2001
I've been using XP Pro for almost two months and I can say that I'm happ with the performance and stability. However, lately the system crashed and reboot quit often, but i guess that is due to some of the software that i install. Go ahead and upgrade, you wont regret :)

earthman

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
I don't know what's so amazing about it...I have found ME to be more stable, actually. I see no compelling reason to use XP at this time, unless you need support for huge memory. The default schemes suck bad, too.

Zlash

Feb 13, 2002
Might wanta take that blindfold off there earthman so you can see how totally untrue your statement is =).

Grant

Oct 9, 1999
I've got XP pro running on two systems, both upgraded from 2000. My computer is rock stable without any problems. The wifes is also stable, except for the pagefile problem that has been discussed in this forum a few times. Upon boot up it gives the error that it could not create the pagefile. XP doesn't take any corrections that i have tried. Other people are also having this problem and i haven't seen any fixes or solutions for this. Other than that both are stable and we like it.

The wifes system will be getting a new motherboard/cpu combo (msi kt266 pro2/amd xp 1800+) next weekend. I'm planning on doing a clean install and hopefully that will fix that little annoying problem.

I'm happy with XP.

Nighthawk69

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2000
I actually just put on XP Pro this weekend and after a little while I went back to 2000 Pro. The reason was simple, it was not playing nicely with my wireless network... it would keep dropping the Internet very often and it would also crash my SMC router fairly often as well, this _never_ happend before in 2000. Plus, I personally think that it's a bit slower than 2000 Pro with the new desktop goodies (graphics), which I would at least try to get used to if I used XP. So, if the wireless networking was improved in the future, I might think about using it, but I still prefer 2000 as it _never_ ever crashes on me and the first day I had XP it had a few points of instability.

But, to each his own. :) Those are just my thoughts.

Grant

Oct 9, 1999
I did creat one, but haven't played with it yet to see how it works. Sorry i can't provide any insight into it.

Zlash

Feb 13, 2002
Your problem occurs because the system does not have read/write access to the swap file to create it. Happens sometimes when you mess with permissions, but be careful when messing with that stuff though, i crasked a 2k system hard by setting something wrong trying to fix a problem like that =).

Grant

Oct 9, 1999
That could be it. Anyway, with redoing the wifes system this weekend, the problem should disappear.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I've been running XP pro for a couple of months now. I like it much better than 98SE and 2K. It does everything my dual boot machine did, only I don't have to reboot into 98SE to get the best game performance anymore. XP plays my games faster than 98.

And ME is NO comparison. ME is the most unstable pile of crap MS ever released.

In fact, I had so much trouble with ME on friends and family's computers, that I never even considered it an option for my own.

Newbie77

Jul 7, 2001
Another vote for Win XP Pro. I've been using it for the past 2 months now and it's been blissfully stable.