XP/Ubuntu dual boot on PC without floppy drive.

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
With XP already install, I need a tutorial on how to install Ubuntu on the D partition. All the tutorials I've seen so far on how to dual boot Ubuntu with XP already install tells you to install GRUB on a floppy so as not to hose your XP however, my PC don't have a floppy drive.

thx

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Just pop the CD in and let it install GRUB to the MBR and you'll be fine. I have Windows XP installed and I installed Ubuntu without problems to my XP partition. If worse comes to worse you can just boot from the Windows XP install CD go into the rescue console and issue the fixmbr command. There really is no need to install it to a floppy.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Yeah, uBuntu should be smart enough to configure GRUB for you. Just make sure you have enough space for the resizing.

Jun 26, 2007
Well, you want to install it to the second partition, is that a partition you have prepared?

I have found that 7.04 doesn't really do the trick for me, Gparted pretty much recognizes all my partitions take a few hours and i reboot to find nothing at all on my HDD, i kept track so i can restore them by simply using testdisk.

I prefer pretty much anything to Ubuntu, I'w go with Zenwalk but Yoper or Arch is nice too, if you really NEED Debian (if for nothing else then for it's amazing support when it comes to the repos, only other distros that have anything even comparable would be Yoper or Arch) then just use Debian, it's way better than ANY of the distros based on it.

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Originally posted by: nsafreak
Just pop the CD in and let it install GRUB to the MBR and you'll be fine. I have Windows XP installed and I installed Ubuntu without problems to my XP partition. If worse comes to worse you can just boot from the Windows XP install CD go into the rescue console and issue the fixmbr command. There really is no need to install it to a floppy.

He said he didn't wanna hose it. I have messed around alot in the years with dual boot, and the answer every time is no. Download VMWare for free and you'll be alot happier. I've hosed two XP installations with that FixMBR crap. Lost alot of valuable date each time too. Just virtualize. Then you can always install/reinstall/delete the linuxes whenever you want. Good for me since I go the flavor of the week route :p.

HermDogg

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2004
I just installed 7.10 on my laptop with XP normally and GRUB handled everything.