XP Pro and Remote Desktop

rabrittain

Dec 28, 2006
Is there anyone out there who has experience with Windows XP Professional and Remote Desktop?

I have 3 machines. One is dual boot: XP Pro 32 bit and XP Pro x64. The other 2 run XP Pro 32 bit. I would like to use the dual boot machine (preferrably x64) to look at the other 2 machines by using remote desktop.

I've done some searching on the Microsoft web site. Some of the information is confusing. Some of the articles say that I can run remote desktop from the menu with "Start - Programs - Accessories - Communications - Remote Desktop", but it's not there on any of my machines. There is also an indication that it is possible with Internet Explorer. Some references say that the client must be downloaded, but supposedly it was part of SP1. I have updated to SP3 on the 32 bit operating systems. Has the application been eliminated by SP2 or SP3?

I feel like I'm chasing my tail and would welcome all help and suggestions.

Thanks.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
To replace the missing Remote Desktop shortcut, create a new shortcut and put this in the Target box: "%SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe" and this in the Start in box: "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%" without quotes and with no spaces in either of the paths.

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've also seen the shortcut in "Start - Programs - Accessories"

Actually, that's were it is on my machine. XP Pro 32bit.

But the info Fardringle gave you will work. :)

Alyx

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2007
You might also upgrade to the newest remote desktop version. It shows up on Windows Update but I don't think it'll install automatically. And remember if you connect to a machine it will log off any users already logged in locally.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
One more hint:

Things tend to work better if you get in the habit of using the /console switch when you connect. This will prevent you from locking yourself out of a machine (by consuming all remote connections) and many programs don't like being run in RDP.

Viper GTS

EULA

Aug 13, 2004
If the shortcut is missing, you can also enter 'mstsc' (Microsoft Terminal Services Client) to open RD.

It's usually whats in the Run box on computers I use, :p

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
For managing multiple machines via RDP at the same time, and easily being able to choose to connect via console, try Royal TS

The config file can be password protected, you can set the logon, domain, and even password by machine (I don't save the passwords, too paranoid, and it forces me to remember them ;) ). Create groups and re-order the connections.

I've been using it for about a month or two at work, and I love it. Especially since it is free. :D

It's a kicked up (and superior) version of the Remote Desktops manager you get with Windows 2003 Admin tools.

rabrittain

Dec 28, 2006
Greetings!

I apologize for not getting back to you all for a couple of days. I had a "TIA" (a mini-stroke). My daughter drove me to the emergency room, and the kept me in the hospital for a day and a half to run some tests. Thankfully everything is OK.

I was released this afternoon, and the first thing (after an iced mocha) I did was to go to my apartment and check on my crunchers.

I had lost internet connectivity on one of them, but BOINC was still running. After straightening a few things out, I created the shortcut on one computer. I enabled remote desktop and configured the firewall on another computer and tried it out. It worked!!

I was watching the other screen when I used remote desktop to access the other computer, and the desktop went away, and the login screen appeared. However, under the name it said "logged on".

I still have to try some things out.

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Rex--

Sorry to hear about the TIA.

Was one of the tests a brain scan? And the doctor tells you he found nothing? That happened on my last one (I've had 3.)

Blood pressure meds and an aspirin a day has kept the next one at bay for about 6 years.

Good luck!

--Fred

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Rudy Toody
Rex--

Sorry to hear about the TIA.

Was one of the tests a brain scan? And the doctor tells you he found nothing? That happened on my last one (I've had 3.)

Blood pressure meds and an aspirin a day has kept the next one at bay for about 6 years.

Good luck!

--Fred

Bum news but I am glad you are not permanently affected.

I'm afraid I am another TIA vet. (I lost the use of my right hand and foot for ~4 hours) :(

The last test was a full blown angiogram several weeks later that showed nothing. But it showed itself on the MRI and CAT scan during the event. (there was nearly a year of periodic tests for blood clots, blood chemestry, etc... ) My blood pressure was/is fine, but my cholesterol was through the roof.

My story is an asprin a day (325mg) and medication for the cholesterol.... no issues for 5 years.

Moral of the Story: DO WHAT THE DOC WANTS YOU TO! No point in surviving two of them.

-Sid

rabrittain

Dec 28, 2006
Thanks to those of you who have stories to tell about TIA's. Yep - the doc wants me to take an aspirin a day.

I have had a chance to try out remote desktop some more, and I am pleased with the way that it works. I also want to try Royal TS.

My goal is to be able to use remote desktop or Royal TS during the Folding@Home project next month. Because all my machines have dual core processors, I plan on using SMP clients on them. I have the option of running XP x64 on one of my machines. Is SMP MPICH better than SMP DEINO? ...or would it be better to keep things simple and use the 32 bit OS on everything and run SMP DEINO.

When I configure the SMP clients, should I save some processor cycles for remote desktop?

... or will remote desktop work just fine with SMP running at 100%.

Thanks for the info!!

rabrittain

Dec 28, 2006
I have given quite a bit of thought to the use of Royal TS. I downloaded it today, but I noticed in the release notes that it requires .Net Framework v. 3.5. On the computer to which it was downloaded I also have Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, which depends on .Net Framework v. 2.0. I unsuccessfully attempted to update to v. 3.0; perhaps there are safeguards in place which would prevent me from downloading a version past 2.0. I don't know. Neither do I know if Visual Studio 2005 will run with a later .Net Framework version. Maybe I don't need it.

Everything I've read so far seems to indicate that I can't use remote desktop on a computer which relies on XP Home edition, such as my ex-wifes computer. I spend a bit of time at her house (I'm there now), and if I could access my computers from her house, it would solve some problems.

I have created the shortcut for remote desktop on her computer, and the Terminal Services service is running on it. When I select Remote Desktop from the start menu, I am prompted to connect to a computer.

When I use Remote Desktop at my apartment, I have not figured out how to use computer names yet, so I use the IP address of the computer that I want to connect to. (I'm sure that it's an LMHOSTS file or related name resolution issue.) But all those computers are on the same subnet anyway.

Which brings me to a question: if I am able to use Remote Desktop at my ex-wifes house, how do I get past the cable modem and router at my apartment. What is the format of the combination of IP addresses that I must use to access my computers over the internet? I guess that the larger question is: "Am I able to use Remote Desktop to access my computers over the internet, and how do I do it?

Thanks for the help.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Yes you can use it over the internet.

The IP address you'll use is the external address of your router (http://www.whatismyip.com/). You'll need to configure your router to forward traffic on that port (3389) to one of your machines inside the router. From there you can connect to the other machines on your network OR you can change the listening port on those systems (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306759) and just use different external ports.

You can also use something like TeamViewer to do it, which would require much less configuration (and you won't be screwed if your external IP changes, though you could always do DDNS).

Viper GTS

rabrittain

Dec 28, 2006
Thanks for your help Viper GTS!!

I'm not sure yet if I want to open my subnet up to the possibility of some sort of brute force hacker attack -- maybe that's paranoia.

This morning I went over to my apartment, and configured the firewalls, and I am now able to access the other 2 computers from any of the 3 computers on the subnet

I still haven't solved the name resolution issue - I think I'm going to try a HOSTS file. Now I'm itching to get back over there and try this port forwarding thing. Thanks also for the link to whatsmyip.com - that's a nice tool

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I have given quite a bit of thought to the use of Royal TS. I downloaded it today, but I noticed in the release notes that it requires .Net Framework v. 3.5. On the computer to which it was downloaded I also have Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, which depends on .Net Framework v. 2.0. I unsuccessfully attempted to update to v. 3.0; perhaps there are safeguards in place which would prevent me from downloading a version past 2.0. I don't know. Neither do I know if Visual Studio 2005 will run with a later .Net Framework version. Maybe I don't need it.

Yeah, I forgot it needed v 3.5. It wasn't an issue for me, but for others such as yourself, it can be.

For those who don't have issues with .Net framework v 3.5, it's pretty slick. :)

rabrittain

Dec 28, 2006
OK - I've downloaded and installed Teamviewer to my ex's computer. It asks me for an ID. I'm guessing that that is the ID provided when TeamViewer is installed on another computer.

If I use TeamViewer, is it necessary to configure port forwarding on my router?

Thanks, RaySun2Be for the info on the .Net Framework. It looks like I may be able to get this done without using Royal TS.

:cool:

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Yes the ID + password you need is generated by the machine you are connecting to.

My experience has been that TeamViewer works in situations where other remote access utils wouldn't. I've never had to configure anything to use it, it simply works every time I try it.

Viper GTS

rabrittain

Dec 28, 2006
I installed TeamViewer on my ex-wife's computer.

Then I went to my apartment and installed TeamViewer as a service on one of my computers.

I was able to access my computer while at my ex-wife's.

SCORE!!!

:cool: