XP: OEM & COA's

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
Is it true that you just need to buy another COA for an OEM copy to use it on another machine?

ShellGuy

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
no you would have to purchase another liscence not a COA From what i can guess you might as well just purchase a OEM CD save the problems...

Will G.

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
Originally posted by: ShellGuy
no you would have to purchase another liscence not a COA From what i can guess you might as well just purchase a OEM CD save the problems...

Will G.

It says it has both.

hopejr

Nov 8, 2004
OEM licencing says that to get an OEM copy of a Microsoft os, one must also purchase at least one piece of essential hardware with it too, i.e. a hard drive, memory module, processor, mother board. Otherwise it's illegal.

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
Originally posted by: hopejr
OEM licencing says that to get an OEM copy of a Microsoft os, one must also purchase at least one piece of essential hardware with it too, i.e. a hard drive, memory module, processor, mother board. Otherwise it's illegal.

I would be doing that too. I'm asking if you can legally buy an OEM license separate from the OEM CD and have it work on your existing OEM CD.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: amdfanboy

I would be doing that too. I'm asking if you can legally buy an OEM license separate from the OEM CD and have it work on your existing OEM CD.

AFAIK, buying licenses separate from the media is really only done for bulk purchases. It wouldn't be any cheaper than buying an OEM CD anyway.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000

sure, a cd is just a cd. you can use any cd that matches your license. what wouldn't work is using a retail cd and an oem license (didn't work with older versions of windows, would assume the same is true now). coa = license so yeah, you'd need one for each machine you have.

ShellGuy

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
There the hardware you refer to can be as simple as a screw with many companys.. if you think about it that screw is really needed alot of times...

Will G.

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: fisher

sure, a cd is just a cd. you can use any cd that matches your license. what wouldn't work is using a retail cd and an oem license (didn't work with older versions of windows, would assume the same is true now). coa = license so yeah, you'd need one for each machine you have.

retail keys work with retail cd's, OEM keys work with OEM cd's, volume licensing CD's work with volume license CD's (FCKGW anyone? :p). I've seen retail versions of Office accept Academic keys and limit their functionality, as well as using Standard keys on Premium/Pro versions which limits the prorgams able to install, but I don't know if this is the case with OS's as well.