XP multiplier selection.

bETAbILLY

Nov 9, 2002
Is it really possible to change the multiplier on a locked AMD XP by "painting" certain L1 bridges instead of cutting and "painting" only certain L3 bridges?

Theres a person on another website that claims for this trick to work, the copper shield in the laser pits of the L1 bridges also needs grounded to any bridges closed with the electrical conductive grease or paint.

This kinda concerns me as I want to buy a couple more XP333's and on the newer boards, Iwill has disabled multiplier selection in hardware, if you can't lower the multiplier, you can't run 166 and 200mhz host clock without over-torqing the cpu.

EKAtBzboyz

Nov 1, 2002
Originally posted by: bETAbILLY
Is it really possible to change the multiplier on a locked AMD XP by "painting" certain L1 bridges instead of cutting and "painting" only certain L3 bridges?

Theres a person on another website that claims for this trick to work, the copper shield in the laser pits of the L1 bridges also needs grounded to any bridges closed with the electrical conductive grease or paint.

This kinda concerns me as I want to buy a couple more XP333's and on the newer boards, Iwill has disabled multiplier selection in hardware, if you can't lower the multiplier, you can't run 166 and 200mhz host clock without over-torqing the cpu.

all xp333s (333mhz fsb i assume you mean) and xp2400+ and xp2600+ have their L1 bridges in tact as far as i know

why you have to connect the L3 bridge is to enable the usage of lower multipliers instead of the high ones amd uses on the cpu to begin with (only on xp2200+ and higher, or thoroughbred cores)

for any amd xp lower than those, the L1 bridges have been laser cut, so you need to connect them with something conductive
however if you look closely, there is a small "pit" cut into the surface itself.
this is where you need to fill with unconductive material because that is a ground.
if it is filled with conductive material, the whole connection will effectively be grounded out, so it wont work

the new cpu's with 166mhz fsb are starting with a multiplier of 13 (the cpu controls the default multiplier)
so in the bios, even if you cant manually adjust the mult, it will be at a mult of 13

afaik, it is not possible to change the mult using L1 bridges
there were other bridges on Thunderbird cores you could cut/join to change the mult, but im not sure of them for xp's (if they even work anymore)

bETAbILLY

Nov 9, 2002
No, the "XP333" I refered to is the Iwill mainboard that has a working /6 divider.

Getting back to the subject, this person claims you can close a specific L1 bridge to raise or lower the SPD multiplier by .5 or 1.0. He also claims you have to ground that particular bridge to the shield for his trick to work. His stated advantage is you will not have to cut any L3 bridges and the mod is reversable with laquer thinner if you want to raise the multiplier at a different time.

Right now I'm using an 11 month old XP333-R with an unlocked XP1800+, the mainboard runs sweet up to DDR400 with OCZ memory and it took many tries to successfully unlock my 1800. I dont want to try his trick out on my cpu.

Also the newer Iwill XP333's have multiplier adjustment in bios disabled and will only autodetect a cpu's multiplier. That means youre stuck running with whatever the cpu specs indicate.

These people have a neat calculator for changing multipliers:
Calculator