XP Desktop scrolling at supported resolutions?

ChefJoe

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
Yes, I guess I'm a n00b on this one. I have been running my 955DF at 1024*768 without problems for a long time (ATI Radeon VE graphics card), I tried 1600*1200 today and can't seem to make the XP desktop stop scrolling (it's got that blinder effect that keeps you from seeing the whole thing). Now, this resolution is supposed to be supported by both the monitor and the graphics card so what am I missing?? I even set the color depth down to 16 bit.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: ChefJoe
Yes, I guess I'm a n00b on this one. I have been running my 955DF at 1024*768 without problems for a long time (ATI Radeon VE graphics card), I tried 1600*1200 today and can't seem to make the XP desktop stop scrolling (it's got that blinder effect that keeps you from seeing the whole thing). Now, this resolution is supposed to be supported by both the monitor and the graphics card so what am I missing?? I even set the color depth down to 16 bit.
My Radeon VE did this, too, when I was using an old Iiyama monitor with BNC connectors (so it couldn't read the settings from the monitor, and wouldn't let me run it at higher resolutions that it supported without scrolling the desktop like you've described). A possible solution is to go to Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, Displays, and click on the button above the icon for your monitor. Uncheck "Use DDC Information," and tell it the truth about the capabilities of your monitor (here).

ChefJoe

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
Well, that uncheck DDC info worked fine. Now if only I could make that pull down menu of refresh rates had the ones my monitor lists for certain resolutions. Maybe this is why people use those ati tweak utils.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
I'm not sure if this will help you any, but you might want to try (in the same window where you uncheck the use DDC information option) setting the maximum resolution to the most that your monitor is capable of, and setting the maximum refresh rate to the highest vertical refresh rate (in Hz) that your monitor can attain at its lowest resolution. Again, I'm not sure if that will help, but it should make the list of refresh rates to be limited to only what your monitor can support.

ChefJoe

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
Sadly, that one is a no go... I entered it as such and no luck. Oh well, my fault for not having the latest drivers perhaps (I've been hearing the ATI 7000 drivers are all messed up these past few versions).