Xmen: Dark Phoenix starring Sansa Stark-> Test screenings = Fantastic Four bad

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

1st TWO rounds of test screenings = bad.
reshoots were ordered.

after reshoots, which pushed the release date from Feb 2019 to June 2019, the studio did a 3rd test screening.
also bad.

is this on purpose?
scorch earth tactic since after this film, xmen now goes to Disney... o_O

/Tinfoil hat

Last edited:

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I fail to understand why the MCU (Avengers, Iron Man, Thor, etc) are generally decent movies, but somehow the X-Men movies continue to crater.

Reactions: Exterous

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Sophie Turner just doesn't do it for me as Jean Grey. She always seems to have zero emotion when she talks.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Sophie Turner just doesn't do it for me as Jean Grey. She always seems to have zero emotion when she talks.
hopefully this will lead her to do nude scenes for her to get work.

or quit mainstream Hollywood and follow in the path of Natalie Portman and do neo-avant-garde films where she's full nude :eek: :D

Reactions: Jon-T and clamum
Mar 11, 2004

Yeah, she comes off detached and not a good fit for Jean Grey. But then Famke Jansen wasn't great for that role either. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure any of them have been well cast. Patrick Stewart is great and I think did Professor X well, but even that kinda felt lacking. Hugh Jackman was ok as Logan I guess, but I wasn't that into it (Wolverine was my favorite comic character growing up), it although I think that was less the acting and the poor scripts/writing, and that's probably the bigger problem. But I feel like a lot of them were especially poorly cast.

Weirdly I didn't hate Apocalypse although it was a bad movie as it just was like a bunch of scenes that were barely connected together and little to really build a worthwhile coherent story. But I kinda liked the thinking behind some of the scenes, like I actually even thought the one scene with Magneto was downright good (and I think Fassbender was decent as him). Some of the others were interesting but not really well executed (the big final action scene). The Quicksilver scene was fun but didn't fit the movie well and seemed really out of place.

Reactions: skyking

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I fail to understand why the MCU (Avengers, Iron Man, Thor, etc) are generally decent movies, but somehow the X-Men movies continue to crater.

The X-men movies should be MORE interesting given that they're just regular people with cool abilities as opposed to billionaires or aliens.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I've always found the X-men movies to be disappointingly mediocre to subpar

X2 was great, but the rest yeah...pretty much terrible all across. I still put X2 in my top ~3 of super hero flicks. Still surviving nearly all of the MCU pablum since that time.

As for the casting: Thought Stewart was the right fit for Xavier. Pretty much perfect for that role. McKellan...eh. I don't know. He was good, but he was a bit overindulgent to me. I think Fassbender was much better, tbh.

Jackman grew on me. I didn't expect it, but I eventually really liked his Logan. I think the studio was limited by the amount of acceptable violence, so he really never could be that Wolverine. He was always the more human Logan, and that was the storyline, so I learned to dig it for what those flicks were going with. The Logan flick, I think, hit it out of the park for a proper film version of the character. ...weird, thing, Jackman is actually too tall for Wolverine...never hear that when it comes to casting. I think Wolverine is what, 5' 4" or something? Dude is a midget.

Everyone else was pretty much garbage.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Logan was awesome as hell. I'd kill to see the Weapon X graphic novel made into a movie.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Were I at Disney/Marvel I'd probably just want to shitcan this and entirely reboot X-Men in a couple years. Blame the now gone Fox team for the failure and rightly so. Yes they'd have to eat the production cost but better than further damaging the property.

Logan was awesome as hell. I'd kill to see the Weapon X graphic novel made into a movie.

Yes, do this after finding a director/screenwriter equal to the material.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Famke Jansen

How dare you, bite your tongue! :p

How come she's not playing Gene anymore? I'm not a huge fan of X-Men, but I've watched 5 or 6 here and there. It seems like the rest of the old cast has reprised their roles?

And why does it look like they are wearing Star Trek Federation uniforms in this new movie?

Last edited:

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
even the trailer looks horrible...and didn't we already have this storyline?

Yeah, apparently it is the go to storyline to kill the franchise. For me I just don't think I can stand to see any more of crying Sansa, it was old 7 years ago.

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
I think that she's just a terrible actress. She has sulky and whiny but that's about it. She's my least favourite thing about GoT as well.
She's very pretty. With a very versatile face shape depending on pose. Those eyes ...
I don't know much about her work but she is young and has time to expand her skills.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
She's very pretty. With a very versatile face shape depending on pose. Those eyes ...
I don't know much about her work but she is young and has time to expand her skills.
I dont really care how pretty an actress is.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
movie opens this fri and they haven't given advanced previews to the press yet, whereas other movies opening this fri have had advanced screenings last week.

rotten tomatoes:
DARK PHOENIX
Critics Consensus
No consensus yet.

Tomatometer
Not Yet Available

TOMATOMETER
Total Count: N/A
Coming soon
Release date: Jun 7, 2019

AUDIENCE SCORE
Ratings: Not yet available

Not a good sign :(

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Personally, I thought First Class and Days of Future Past were good with giving the nod to First class. The rest were eh at best. I don't consider Logan to be a X-Men movie so I don't group it with the others.