Discussion X'mas/holiday celebration

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
I am not a religious person so Xmas don't mean much to me but I do what everyone does like gift exchange, gathering, and enjoying the "Xmas spirit". It come down to me this year as to why are we doing all this, buying and receiving "gifts" that most of us never use, stressing out on buying gifts/foods and cooking, eating a week worth of food that can last a week in a day, all the overly sweet "treat" that are no good to our body, drink like a fish and hope to arrive home alive.

I don't see the joy or love is in the air, all I see are people stressing out, wasting stupid amounts of food, producing tons of waste, and spending a stupid amount of $$$.

Shouldn't we be celebrating Xmas more "spiritual" and relaxed?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
First of all, it's called Christmas. And yeah, it's not really about the gifts but about spending time with family, and if you're religious celebrating the birth of Jesus. But even if you're not religious it's nice to spend time with family and having a nice dinner and gathering together. It should not be stressful though. Some people like to make it stressful but it really does not need to be that way. Our Christmases tend to be fairly simple and it's great. Family gathering at my sister's house and Christmas dinner. Then on Boxing Day we had a gathering at my house.

This year we did not go that big on gifts and honestly I did not miss it. I do miss the feeling of getting gifts as a kid, but that simply can't be replicated as an adult, nor would I expect anyone to buy me the amount of gifts I got as a kid.

Reactions: Captante

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
First of all, it's called Christmas.

the romans and byzantines actually used the X, XP, or XPS as a placeholder for the word "christ" starting in the 4th century AD

i have a couple 9th and 10th century AD byzantine coins with the name IHS XPS on them ("jesus christ")

there also exist many christograms where the name would be written as X, XP, or asterisk

this wasn't considered "wrong" or an omission until the 20th century

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Ask for things you need for Christmas. This year I got some socks, a winter hat, some USB type C cables, and a phone charger. All great gifts.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
the romans and byzantines actually used the X, XP, or XPS as a placeholder for the word "christ" starting in the 4th century AD

i have a couple 9th and 10th century AD byzantine coins with the name IHS XPS on them ("jesus christ")

there also exist many christograms where the name would be written as X, XP, or asterisk

Correct. It really annoys me when someone complains about it being abbreviated as Xmas. It has historical precedent.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Christmas really is a holiday for kids IMO. I loved it as a kid and it was my favorite time of the year. As an adult who has lost most of his family though, it’s generally a sad time of year for me and this year was so bad that it is almost like there wasn’t a Christmas due to many external factors hitting me from all sides. I did get some good gifts (among them another 3D printer for my business), but stress from other areas of life just rendered the holiday almost nonexistent to me.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Christmas is a time to surround yourself with family and loved ones and enjoy yourselves. Gift giving, eating too much, drinking, those are all simply side effects of how people like to celebrate. If you don't enjoy it, you're doing it wrong.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Brianmanahan, dropping the knowledge bomb on us! Why doesn't this guy have Elite status yet?

Mar 11, 2004
OP, I'm pretty sure that's the plot point of every Xmas movie. Did you really think this was some profound epiphany?

Gotta love Christian clowns complaining about shit out of their own ignorance, sadly your post isn't likely to dissuade them from it.

Hmm, that actually explains a lot about Windows XP. Also Jesus is pretty f'n rad, but who knew it was the Jesus Games?!? Weirdly XXX makes more sense, what with the "oh my god"s

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004

Not to mention Christmas itself is even the correct celebration of the birth of Christ. More than likely was in the summer or fall based on scripture.