XM: thoughts on satellite radio?

audiophan

May 2, 2001
anyone have any experience with xm yet?

the stations here in indiana (Purdue) suck and very few come in on my journey to MI (home). can 2 recievers be used with one subscription? and how far reaching is the signal exactly-can i get stations from the middle of lake michigan? a lot is said about sound quality, but how good is it really?

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I would love to try it out, but the cost of the receiver/dash thingy is so high they can forget it.

I make 500 mile trips (each way) every couple of months, and I can only listen to "Nickelback - How you Remind Me" so many times before it gets REALLY old. I'd love to be able to listen to some classical/opera or talk/news radio 24/7.

Like I said, though, too bloody expensive.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
ugh.... nothing can replace Radio. Where else do you hear the latest tracks/cuts from your fav. artists that only radio stations can get weeks in advance. Nowhere else... Plus talkshows and all our favorite mc's and dj's would be gone if we just switched to CD and mp3.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I don't listen to the car radio enough to justify the $9.95 - $12.95 monthly fees. Sure there's hundreds of channels to choose from with every genre known to mankind, some even commercial free. If I were to waste more money I'd rather buy a new gas guzzling SUV with the equivelant to GM's OnStar.

VTBigBear

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
lol

I was at best buy and was looking at an XM radio.. dang thing cost $700 +
then someone working there also told me about the monthly fee....
what a rip off....

unless you really wanted to listen to a radio station in another country or something... but still... seems like a waste

brnbngls

Feb 12, 2001
There is a definite advantage for people who drive cross country alot. However, that's not the general public. So long as FM is around, XM will be a novelty. And I don't see XM replacing it anytime soon. My only complaint with normal radio is that they play the same crap over and over and over. I'm with you guys, burn your own MP3 cd and pop it in your deck. And MP3 decoding deck is more cost effective than an XM deck.

VTBigBear

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
hmm if you are looking to listen to music then XM is not for ya..

but then there are ppl that like to listen to talk shows.. like Don and Mike or O & A

so XM might be a good solution to those that dont get their favorite station

kyutip

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2000
XM in theory sounds really nice :)
Too bad the hardware and monthly price really sucks.
With that price I can install DVD player or LCD screen on my car.
I'd get XM only if the hardware cost less than $50 and monthly is $5 (or less)
other than that they can take their XM and shove it back to their satelite