XFX R7970 Black Ed is not so trusty any more!

fastman

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
My trusty XFX R7970 Black Ed is not so trusty and having problems with artifacts and either a solid bluish or gray screen shortly after boot-up. To me it's like the thermo paste has dried up on the GPU and needs to be replaced, like a CPU does at times but this GPU is sealed up and not easily accessible.

I plan on RMA'ing it as I am the original owner and it came with a lifetime warranty.

I did a mild overclock, do I need to try to fire it up again and put the overclock to default or is that stored in the driver software and not on the card? I don't want XFX saying I voided something by OC'ing it.

Thanks

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Yup, what everyone else said, as long as its a software based OC and not a BIOS flash, its undetetable. You could easily determine if the TIM is dry or not by running a stress test and monitoring temps, I have the same card as you and I dont think ive ever seen it get much above 80C during a hard furmark test.

EDIT - Before you RMA it, it might be a good idea to try a driver re-installation first. Ive seen that solve a few issues like this over the years, mostly in laptops though.

Last edited:

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Are your cables ok my friend?

Faulty cables can artifact alright.

Also if you see artifacts and make a screen grab, are the artifacts still visible when you see the grab?

fastman

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
EDIT - Before you RMA it, it might be a good idea to try a driver re-installation first. Ive seen that solve a few issues like this over the years, mostly in laptops though.

I think I did but will give this a shot again.

fastman

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

Also if you see artifacts and make a screen grab, are the artifacts still visible when you see the grab?

I will check those and give that a shot.

tonyfreak215

Nov 21, 2008

I've never thought or head of that before!

If it's not in the screen grab, it's the cable or monitor, right?