XFX GeForce 9800GT Model Number - what do the letters stand for?

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
I am looking for information on what all the letters stand for in the different model numbers for the XFX GeForce 9800GT series of video cards.

I have seen 3 different model numbers.
XFX PVT98GYDL,
XFX PVT98GYDLH,
XFX PVT98GYDLU,

and then there's my model number on my own version which is

XFX PVT98GYDLB

The sticker says it was made in "China". Not sure if thats good or bad.

Anybody know what all the letters stand for besides XFX and the 98G portion, of course, thats obvious.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
Um, let me answer something for you.

This post you posted
I have an XFX GeForce 9800GT 512MB videocard with a model number of:
XFX PVT 98GYDLB that has a sticker on it that says it was made in "China".

What do the letter GYDLB stand for and where can I find an exhaustive list of all XFX GeForce 9800GT model numbers that explains all the subtle differences between each of these model numbers?

Thanks

P.S. I just signed up on this website a few moments ago. Who runs this website...is it NVidia or XFX?
You posted on the Geforce forum, Geforce is part of Nvidia.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
If you're not going to make a serious effort to answer the OP's question, then don't bother posting. If I see one more nondescript Google link threadcrapped in this subforum, I'm getting the ban hammer out.
-- stahlhart

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
I do not know what the letters stand for. They might not stand for anything.
If you do not get useful info from people on an internet forum - quite possible if these are simply internal XFX reference numbers - then I would suggest that you shoot an email to XFX themselves.

el etro

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2013
Made in China means it is assembled in China. This is not bad. False graphics cards(they exist, really) tend to perform much slower and show erroneous information in GPU-z.

Don't find informaion about all of them. "DLU" and "DLH" will perform equal(they have the same GPU/RAM specifications), the "DL" seems to have DDR3 memory(slower). About "DLB" i have found nothing. Use GPU-z on your card and make sure it will match the specs of original 9800GT , will be important for you.

BUnit1701

May 1, 2013
The problem you face in asking the forum is these cards are long since forgotten. You would be better served searching and reading posts from the time frame regarding XFX branded cards.

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
The problem you face in asking the forum is these cards are long since forgotten. You would be better served searching and reading posts from the time frame regarding XFX branded cards.

I think your assuming that everyone who reads these forums is an exact clone of yourself. This is a 256-bit memory bus width videocard we are talking about here with a bandwidth that is double that of Intels latest and greatest HD4000 chipset which comes stock with my IvyBridge CPU.

Double the bandwidth of the latest 3rd generation Intel Core CPU...how is that a long forgotten video card...because you don't have one?

You could respond that way to every post on these forums. I'll bet you wonder why these forums even exists don't you when most manufacturers have their own website. :)

It seems this is a more difficult question than I would have guessed given the responses I am receiving.

The letters do mean something. They aren't random letters pulled from a hat. There are multiple variants of the XFX GeForce 9800GT and the model numbers make it easier to know what you have purchased or might want to purchase "IF" I could actually find out what the letters mean.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I think your assuming that everyone who reads these forums is an exact clone of yourself. This is a 256-bit memory bus width videocard we are talking about here with a bandwidth that is double that of Intels latest and greatest HD4000 chipset which comes stock with my IvyBridge CPU.

Device bandwidth and time travel are unrelated.

The letters do mean something. They aren't random letters pulled from a hat. There are multiple variants of the XFX GeForce 9800GT and the model numbers make it easier to know what you have purchased or might want to purchase "IF" I could actually find out what the letters mean.

It's six years after the G92 came out. Where are you cross-shopping XFX 9800GTs where model number is even relevant? How have you even narrowed a search to XFX 9800GTs?

You're asking us to google dead data for you for no discernable cause. That's rude.

Last edited:

BUnit1701

May 1, 2013

Double the bandwidth of the latest 3rd generation Intel Core CPU...how is that a long forgotten video card...because you don't have one?

You could respond that way to every post on these forums. I'll bet you wonder why these forums even exists don't you when most manufacturers have their own website. :)

It seems this is a more difficult question than I would have guessed given the responses I am receiving.

Can you buy a new 9800GT in a store today? Are there threads being started asking if it is a better buy than an HD4850? Im not saying it has no performance and needs to be thrown in a trash bin, Im saying people no longer talk about it, and as such, dont know the differences between model numbers from a specific card maker off the top of their head. Asking someone else to do the search is lazy. Get over it.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Device bandwidth and time travel are unrelated.

I guess you want to get banned. Didn't you read the Mod's admonition?

OP, I'm thinking that perhaps some of those 9800GTs may be factory overclocked models hence the different device description. A lot of companies sell NVidia overclocked models with different core and RAM frequencies.

I know it sucks but, unfortunately all the good, high-paying manufacturing jobs that you could get in the past with a Grade 8 education
are long gone. Everything's from China or Bangladesh because evil corporate heads don't want to pay a living wage to their employees (but,
of course, this doesn't apply to them).

Last edited:

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Generally they refer to different cooler styles, different shrouds/stickers. Sometimes the refer to higher clocked parts, parts with more memory etc..

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
Can you buy a new 9800GT in a store today? Are there threads being started asking if it is a better buy than an HD4850? Im not saying it has no performance and needs to be thrown in a trash bin, Im saying people no longer talk about it, and as such, dont know the differences between model numbers from a specific card maker off the top of their head. Asking someone else to do the search is lazy. Get over it.

Wow, you make a lot of assumptions don't you. I did a Google search before I even posted my first message. You know what's I think stinks more than a lazy person? A person who goes out of their way to comment on stuff that they really have no interest in...in the first place. The reason I posted my message on this websites is because it is a "general hardware enthusiast" website where my message might be seen by somebody who actually owns/knows about these cards. Some of you readers are some very self-righteous people like I've never met.

@DominionSeraph and everyone else who is complaining about my question,

If the topic doesn't interest you, skip it. It's really simple concept. But I guess you couldn't get your "Diamond Member" status as quickly if you were skipping messages you have no interest in. So on those grounds I'll give you a pass.

Last edited:

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
just go on newegg and do a search on xfx9800. the listings will come up as out of stock but the technical details will still be there.