XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
My MB also has a molex connector directly on the MB, while I'm not 100% sure here. I believe it's for powering a video card. His card probably came with a power adapter so plugging it into the MB makes sense. While I don't know if I would power a video card card of that level directly thru the MB, the plug is there.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
The molex on old motherboards was for PSUs that didn?t have a CPU plug; in those instances you could use a molex instead. AFAIK at no time were they ever for the purposes of powering a video card.

james1701

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2007
Originally posted by: BFG10K
The molex on old motherboards was for PSUs that didn?t have a CPU plug; in those instances you could use a molex instead. AFAIK at no time were they ever for the purposes of powering a video card.

Thats interesting. I wonder why companies still put them on modern mobo's. Even cheapest 250w power supplies from the deepest rice patty on earth have a mobo 20 pin plug, made in the last 10 years or so. I can't see why they would put it on anything newer powering anything. Thats just something extra that does not need to be on the board.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Originally posted by: james1701

Thats interesting. I wonder why companies still put them on modern mobo's. Even cheapest 250w power supplies from the deepest rice patty on earth have a mobo 20 pin plug, made in the last 10 years or so. I can't see why they would put it on anything newer powering anything. Thats just something extra that does not need to be on the board.

CPU plug doesn't have anything to do with 24/20+4 pin connectors. BFG is referring the the 4pin 12V CPU connector which is the same as a 4/8/4+4 pin EPS connector.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

My MB is about 2 years old, p35 chipset, MSI's manual says it's for powering a video card.

link to pic of my MB, the one I owned before that also has a molex connector. Both said they were for video card power, weird. It's just above the main PCI-E slot and below the heatpipes. for anyone who checks it out.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: james1701

Thats interesting. I wonder why companies still put them on modern mobo's.
What they put on modern motherboards isn?t the same thing I was referring to on old motherboards.