XFX 7850 2GB temperatures

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
Hey all, I've got an XFX 7850 2GB Core Edition

It idles around 35C, and in games under full load sometimes reaches 80C.

I've got a Fractal R4 case with 2 140mm fans as low intake, and 1 140mm fan as high exhaust. I've also got a Hyper 212 EVO on my CPU with 1 fan on it. I think the GPU is running hotter than it should...

I've noticed that little to no air comes out the vent on the front of the card, facing out towards the back and outside of the case. Most the airflow I feel coming from the GPU fan goes towards the front of my case and out the side of card...My previous HD5770 had almost all it's airflow go directly out the back of the case through the vent on the bottom part of the front face and outside the back of the case.

The fan gets up towards 98%-100% in stressful games, with temps reaching 80C. XFX via their support website lists anything under 95C as ok, but it still seems hot to me..

Last edited:

J Macker

May 5, 2013
I will tell you that I have a bunch of 7950 cards mining and some go up to 90c before I have it cutoff. No, it's not ideal. I would like to get them below 85C.

I wouldn't worry at all about 80C.
Plus, XFX doesn't have the best heatsink designs.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I've used an XFX HD7870 Core Edition. The cooler is not good. That's unfortunately the price you pay for buying a budget card.

Also, due to the design of the heatsink, almost no heat will ever come out of the rear vent.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
Yeah, that's what I thought - cheap heatsink. I probably won't go with XFX ever again. Wish I'd gotten something a little bit better built, but at the the time the XFX was a significantly better deal than anything else. Ahh well

Thought I'd post a pic of my case just to see if you all think the airflows decently set up
30myc00.jpg

The 2 front 140mm are intake, the back 140mm is exhaust. The CPU cooler blows in the direction of the back exhaust fan. There's also a 120mm fan on the bottom blowing up, which I added to see if it'd help the GPU but it really didn't make a difference.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
My hunch is that your case is simply a bit big for your components, especially that 8" card. But why do you have it in the 4th slot? I'd definitely move it up, because right now it's pretty close to the power supply, which could be limiting the amount of air it's getting from that bottom-mounted fan. Keep in mind that the heatsink's intake is not in line with that 120mm fan, so it's probably never going to be ideal, but moving it up will also put it into the airstream of the mid-mounted front 140mm fan.

BTW, I've never quite understood the concept of fans mounted behind a side-facing drive cage. The airflow is obviously entirely blocked.

Last edited:

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
Yea I could try to turn the HDD cage around, I'd have to remove that bottom fan but it might work.

And my motherboard only has the 1 PCIE x16 slot, so I can't move it up.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Ah, I've never seen that motherboard slot arrangement.

OK, well, I'm out of ideas, because I'm pretty sure your case can't take a side-mounted or top-mounted fan.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
It has places for two top mounted fans, up to 140mm I think. It comes with this soundproof stuff over it in case you don't want to use em. I didn't think it'd make much difference for the GPU, and I'm not sure if I'd want them blowing air up or down - probably down I would think? towards the back exhaust

Yeah, no side fan unfortunately :(. The Newegg description said it did, but then I found out only the non-windowed version of this case has a side fan slot, and I got the windowed.