XFX 5770 no overclock?

jtisgeek

Jan 26, 2010
Just picked up a 5770 to replace my old 4830 overclocked. Everything is running well very happy with it. Today I wanted to see how it overclocked . I saw many reviews where they got good overclocks.

This is where am confused I can get anything above stock always errors out glitch on the screen is this a driver thing maybe with 10.1?

It's a xfx with the new coolers which I saw online had even better temps than the stock ati setup so what gives did I just get a bad card?

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
yeh overclocking is partially luck. However it can be affected by drivers as well. Try MSI afterburner and a play around with the voltage.

Not sure if this is true, but XFX cards may be worse overclockers if they are starting to bin their 5770 chips. They would do this if they are planning to introduce factory overclocked black line of cards. Haven't seen them sell different versions yet, but if they do it would explain these types of problems.

jtisgeek

Jan 26, 2010
No luck with the msi afterburner even with more voltage I still get flicker when at anything above stock.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=123699&enterthread=y

Follow the steps in "solution 2"

I needed 400/1200 to stop the flickering though apparently others have had success with lower clocks. Might depend on the resolution/refresh of your monitors.

Interesting I have an issue where if I attempt to overclock even 10mhz i get flickering. The card I got from Asus already idles at 400/1200.

You're saying you had this issue and had to increase it to stop it?

jtisgeek

Jan 26, 2010
Interesting I have an issue where if I attempt to overclock even 10mhz i get flickering. The card I got from Asus already idles at 400/1200.

Didn't help mine It's like you said any overclock it flickers. Even 5 mhz over on memory or gpu.

Jovec

Feb 24, 2008
Not sure if this is true, but XFX cards may be worse overclockers if they are starting to bin their 5770 chips. They would do this if they are planning to introduce factory overclocked black line of cards. Haven't seen them sell different versions yet, but if they do it would explain these types of problems.

This could definitely come into play. Newegg shows XFX 5770s with 850, 865, and 875 cores for sale. If you bought an 850, they could be putting the higher binned chips into those other models.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This could definitely come into play. Newegg shows XFX 5770s with 850, 865, and 875 cores for sale. If you bought an 850, they could be putting the higher binned chips into those other models.

I have an XFX with the 850/1200 setup, but it runs fine at 960/1400. I am only using CCC for the overclock.

Jovec

Feb 24, 2008
I have an XFX with the 850/1200 setup, but it runs fine at 960/1400. I am only using CCC for the overclock.

Yeah, I doubt the 850 cards are going to fail at 851, but they probably are binning their cards internally at XFX regardless. More likely his chip/vram/card is a dud.

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007

Also time and place of purchase could be an issue depending on when they started binning if they are. I didn't realize XFX was actually selling different models already since the naming didn't really change much.

jtisgeek

Jan 26, 2010
Yeah I bought it local XFX doesn't do like rev numbers or anything do they?

I don't care much about overclocking it but just seems weird usually you can get something out of the memory I don't think anyone makes 1200 ram I read a review that said they are 1250 chips. But I can't get them to run at 1201.

I know there was flicker problems in the drivers I hope it gets better I have like 30 days to swap it out without paying.

TekDemon

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2001
Guys, it's not actually the overclocking that's causing the flickering, it's the stupid idling speed that causes all the flickering issues-the card actually will flicker less if you overclock using a method that forces the card to always run high clocks.
Which is why overclocking using the CCC doesn't stop the flickering, but a hard BIOS edit (that raises idle clocks) or a software OC tool that forces a constant speed will stop the flickering.
The easiest way to fix this until the idiots at AMD come up with a real fix? Run MSI's overclocking app! It overclocks by forcing a certain speed. The lowest speed it'll let you set is 640/900, which is well above the normal idle speed (157/300) but should stop the obnoxious flickering. It seems that you can probably get away with a lower clock since even 400/600 has been reported to prevent flickering, but it's more complicated to set that kind of speed.
The power draw will go up with a higher idle speed but since the GPU isn't actually being pushed to the max sitting on your desktop the extra power drain shouldn't be too horrible.

If you do decide to set something 640/900 in Afterburner for the desktop just remember to turn it back up for when you run games (it lets you save profiles so you could just save one for desktop use), or you're obviously killing your own gaming performance. It's easiest just to tell Afterburner to make the card run at full speed all the time though.

And if you do feel like overclocking...Afterburner lets you push things quite a bit farther than CCC...although overclocking noobs should stay out of the advanced settings (i.e. do not voltmod your card if you don't know what you're doing).

Allio

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2002
Guys, it's not actually the overclocking that's causing the flickering, it's the stupid idling speed that causes all the flickering issues-the card actually will flicker less if you overclock using a method that forces the card to always run high clocks.

This is right. There's some confusion in this thread, so for clarification:

1) A 5XXX card can drive one monitor at 157/300, but requires substantially more juice (usually 400/1200) to drive two or more. Trying to use two monitors at 157/300 causes weird flickering and tearing on the desktop.
2) The drivers are aware of this and will automatically only clock down to 400/1200 when you have two or more monitors plugged in.
3) There is a bug in the drivers that causes the card to revert to idle clocks of 157/300 whenever you overclock (or underclock for that matter), no matter how tiny the change you make is.
4) This is the cause of the flickering. It has nothing to do with the clocks you set. When you tried to overclock to from 850/1200 to 855/1210, your 2D mode card instantly dropped from 400/1200 to 157/300, causing instability on your desktop.
5) If you want to verify this is the cause, do your overclocking with a game running in a window in the background. No flickering.
6) The solution I posted above, which involves setting a new profile for the 2D clocks, stops this bug from occurring, and you can then happily overclock with whatever tool you like.
7) In my experience MSI Afterburner sometimes gets around this problem and lets you overclock without changing the 2D clocks, but not always. It's a more consistent fix to do it in CCC.
8) No, you didn't get a card that was binned so close to the limits that a 5 MHz bump in core speed caused it to spaz out.

I had exactly this issue and thought I'd got a dud. Fixed it and it now clocks happily at about 960/1400, like pretty much every other 5770 out there. Like I said, just leave a game or Furmark or something running while you try overclocking. I bet you it'll work fine. A card that had problems on the desktop at a 5MHz overclock wouldn't last half a second in a 3D game at its stock clocks, but I'm sure you're not having any stability issues in games. Believe me, the 2D clocks are the problem.

Last edited: