XFX 5770 Issues - Artifacts?

RamenBooko

Apr 17, 2010
Hey guys, having an issue with my XFX 5770 XXX card. I just put together this machine a couple of months ago.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
CPU: AMD 965 BE
GPU: XFX 5770 XXX Edition
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2253LW

So, it goes like this:

I started noticing 'artifacting' on the primary screen almost from the get go (I run two monitors, both on DVI). I kind of put up with it because I thought nothing of it. I finally decided to start looking into it now. The second monitor shows no issues whatsoever.

The problem is clearly evident when doing very simple things, more commonly when watching a video or when loading a video on YouTube. It also appears when minimizing Windows Explorer sometimes.

I didn't notice it when playing any PC games at all (although I haven't launched one in a couple of weeks).

So, anything I can do to figure this out? I've swapped the cables on the card and the issue is still here. I am running Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide, cheers.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
I started noticing 'artifacting' on the primary screen almost from the get go (I run two monitors, both on DVI). I kind of put up with it because I thought nothing of it
Artifacting means your card is producing errors, it means your card is broken and needs replacing ASAP.
Simply get an RMA via warranty from the manufacturer.

EDIT: mmm, although, the fact that one monitor has no artifacts at all is a bit odd... could you test it with just one monitor at a time? with each monitor plugged in separately to each of the two DVI outputs on the card.

RamenBooko

Apr 17, 2010
I did get in touch with XFX and they are issuing an RMA for the card, although I would prefer to avoid it (the thought of paying a f**king brokerage fee bothers me).

I should do some more testing, you're right.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
get Furmark or something to test your GPU (a word of warning: it REALLY stresses the GPU), and take screenshots of the artifacts and post them here so we could see.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Are you using the latest drivers? I had that problem with older drivers.
What are your cards clocks when in dual view?

RamenBooko

Apr 17, 2010
Ya, I just updated the drivers. The clocks are stock (875/1300) as I don't over-clock my gear.

Anyways, with the one monitor, there is no 'artifacting' -- I don't even know if it is artifacting. The image just seems to distort for a quick second, especially when a flash video is present. What am I dealing with here?

I plugged the second monitor back in and the problem was there again.

So, one monitor (problem monitor), no problem. Two monitors, problem.

Shilohen

Jul 29, 2009
Yep, when they are by themselves, there is no problem. The problem is only there on the one monitor, when they are both being used...

In dual mode, do you always connect the same monitor to the same port? If so, try switching, it should settle if the problem is with the monitor or the card (or one of its DisplayPort/DVI port anyway).

RamenBooko

Apr 17, 2010
In dual mode, do you always connect the same monitor to the same port? If so, try switching, it should settle if the problem is with the monitor or the card (or one of its DisplayPort/DVI port anyway).

Yep, it follows. Maybe I'm a huge dumbass and it has nothing to do with either the video card or monitor. I'm going to post a video of what I'm talking about. I'll swallow my pride if I'm just an idiot, who cares.