Xeon L5639 Overclocking on X58

Page 114 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Haha CH.. No more X58 rigs. I just got my first Haswell system on the cheap.. Dell Precision 3847 with I7-4771, 8Gb RAM & 1Tb storage for $200 (I added an SSD).. Should last me awhile since not doing much content creation anymore. Plus, I still use Windows 7.. ;)

Last edited:

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Haswell, Burpo? Going for the slightly dull side of the bleeding edge? Seems a little premature tho. I was planning to pick one up in '21-23 - when enough time has past to prove it's a proven platform.

I've just played around a bit in PS - pretty sure we can migrate those X58 stickers over to 'WIN7 FOREVER"

Reactions: Burpo

Wiznaz

Nov 26, 2004
My W3690 has been flawless this whole time. I really appreciate the relevance this old thing offers given today's tech. I think I may make one more revision before I retire this PC as a full-time media server and move on to a Sandy Bridge dual socket or higher. Did any of you guys notice much temperature drop switching to the 95W Westmere line from 130W, clock speed vs clock speed? Heat is my only complaint since I keep the PC on my desk next to monitor.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
My W3690 has been flawless this whole time. I really appreciate the relevance this old thing offers given today's tech. I think I may make one more revision before I retire this PC as a full-time media server and move on to a Sandy Bridge dual socket or higher. Did any of you guys notice much temperature drop switching to the 95W Westmere line from 130W, clock speed vs clock speed? Heat is my only complaint since I keep the PC on my desk next to monitor.
Westmere was much easier for me to cool at higher clocks than 45nm. Your mileage may very, but you will likely notice the same thing if you make that move.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
W3690 was 32nm Gulftown I believe. Still, the Westmere lines may run a bit cooler in general, not sure.

curryloti

May 9, 2018
Got gifted one long mothballed Intel DX58SO just 3 days back, very good stuff. This particular Xeon X5650 is stonewalled around 190 bclk so...

X5650-4-GHz-hwinfo-Cinebench-R20-9vp89x.png

Reactions: ClockHound

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
And a now dinosaur 1950x is 3 times the power ? And a 1700x blows the doors off of it ? Also as old.

Just to add... I have a dual x5675 system that I play 20 year old games on, and I paid $10 for each cpu. I just did it, since the games are so old they wont play on new hardware.

Reactions: Justinbaileyman

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
And a now dinosaur 1950x is 3 times the power ? And a 1700x blows the doors off of it ? Also as old.

Just to add... I have a dual x5675 system that I play 20 year old games on, and I paid $10 for each cpu. I just did it, since the games are so old they wont play on new hardware.
I loved these cpu's when I used them about a year or so ago. Now I have 2 on my shelf just collecting dust till I can get around to finding another motherboard.
I only ever used a single socket for these though and only had a second CPU for backup purposes in case one ever bit the bullet.
But fortunately that never happened cause these were built like tanks adn then some!! .

curryloti

May 9, 2018
The near decade old Westmere score in CB R20 bench is clearly held back by its lack of AVX instructions which may or may not matter as much in RL usage and gaming.

Shouldn't begrudge X58 for aging so well, it still lives on... :D

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I loved these cpu's when I used them about a year or so ago. Now I have 2 on my shelf just collecting dust till I can get around to finding another motherboard.
I only ever used a single socket for these though and only had a second CPU for backup purposes in case one ever bit the bullet.
But fortunately that never happened cause these were built like tanks adn then some!! .
I still have one sitting in a Gigabyte motherboard. Not sure what to do with it these days.

Reactions: Justinbaileyman
Nov 2, 2013
I'm still using my x5670

But I have been trawling aliexpress for b350/x370/b450 and r5 1600s

The clock is ticking on my 10 year old Asus P6T

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I still have one sitting in a Gigabyte motherboard. Not sure what to do with it these days.
What Gigabyte motherboard are you using? I have always wanted the x58 Gigabyte OC. I have been looking and looking for one that is either still new or new-ish at a reasonable price.
I dont know why but there is something about it that draws me in.
I was using my old set up to play older games from the 1997-2010 era and to watch the old now dead format of "HD-DVD's" on Windows VIsta 64.
Unfortunately my motherboard decided to take a dirt nap.. :(

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
What Gigabyte motherboard are you using? I have always wanted the x58 Gigabyte OC. I have been looking and looking for one that is either still new or new-ish at a reasonable price.
I was using my old set up to play older games from the 1997-2010 era and to watch the old now dead format of "HD-DVD's" on Windows VIsta 64.
It's a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P

Last edited:

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I also had that motherboard but sold it for the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 and then sold that and ended up with a Intel Branded motherboard called the "Intel DX58S02 Extreme" which is the motherboard that died on me.
I would love to get another Gigabyte UD5 as well if I could ever find a new one..
Really doubt that will ever happen though seeing how old these parts are!!

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
I also had that motherboard but sold it for the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 and then sold that and ended up with a Intel Branded motherboard called the "Intel DX58S02 Extreme" which is the motherboard that died on me.
I would love to get another Gigabyte UD5 as well if I could ever find a new one..
Really doubt that will ever happen though seeing how old these parts are!!
There are a few on ebay.....

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hey I may be upgrading my sister's comp for the holidays, so I would get take back the X58 system parts if so. Let me know by PM if you are interested in buying the UD5.