Xenon Lights

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
maybe more :-\

I think 800 dollars for ligths is excessive, but what do you all think?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Xenon or HID? HID will run you about that much, or more, depending on the car. Xenon is basically just the cheapo ricer-blue headlights. YES, technically they MAY have some xenon gas in the bulb...but still...just for the "posers" out there who want to look like they have HID...
In many places, add-on HID is now illegal, so check your local statutes before dropping the $$ on them

Kur

Feb 19, 2005
I had em, and noticed a little difference with em. Not worth the $800+ you as saying though.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Xenon or HID? HID will run you about that much, or more, depending on the car. Xenon is basically just the cheapo ricer-blue headlights. YES, technically they MAY have some xenon gas in the bulb...but still...just for the "posers" out there who want to look like they have HID...
In many places, add-on HID is now illegal, so check your local statutes before dropping the $$ on them

Factory BMW Xenon headlights w bulbs

I need to buy the original Xenon headlights and swap them out with my original headlights.

Right now the auction I can buy it now for $445 but then I would have to get the ballasts for probably another $250

So I am looking at close to $700.

Think it is worth it?

Midlander

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2002
That price sounds a bit high. Take heed of BoomerD's advice,too. If you aren't asking about factory options, be careful. Replacing standard headlights with HID is illegal in many areas.

Midlander

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2002
OK. Factory lights. That's good. It still sounds high. I wouldn't bother.

Can you see well enough with what you have?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
I see perfectly fine.

The reason I am even thinking about them is because I figure it would make a huge difference at night and I would have a more "enjoyable" driving experience.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So your car came stock with HID lighting? If that's the case, then just replace the bulbs...IIRC, almost all HID headlight bulbs have a certain amount of xenon in them. If you are wanting to add HID to your car, THAT's where the expense and possibly legality comes into play, otherwise, why would you need to buy the ballasts too? In MOST cases, they use a totally different headlight bucket for the HID assembly than for Halogen lighting. YES, the manufacturers/sellers will tell you that either it's street legal, or an easy retrofit, but both may not be exactly true.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
So your car came stock with HID lighting? If that's the case, then just replace the bulbs...IIRC, almost all HID headlight bulbs have a certain amount of xenon in them. If you are wanting to add HID to your car, THAT's where the expense and possibly legality comes into play, otherwise, why would you need to buy the ballasts too? In MOST cases, they use a totally different headlight bucket for the HID assembly than for Halogen lighting. YES, the manufacturers/sellers will tell you that either it's street legal, or an easy retrofit, but both may not be exactly true.

No I have regular halogen headlights. The factory xenon headlights look a little different and you can tell by looking at the headlights if they are xenon or not. That's why I need to buy a set of headlights.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Aimster

No I have regular halogen headlights. The factory xenon headlights look a little different and you can tell by looking at the headlights if they are xenon or not. That's why I need to buy a set of headlights.

That's what I'm trying to tell you. If your car came from the factory with halogen lighting, the ONLY xenon lighting that will be a direct "Plug & Play" will be the blue tinted bulbs. TRUE BMW xenon is a HID system, not just a bluish looking bulb.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/bmw/540notxenon.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/bmw/540headlights.htm
http://www.xenonvalot.com/xenonsys.html

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Think of it as a business expense - it'll make it easier to see the houses you're delivering pizzas to.

But no, it will not make your driving experience more "enjoyable." That's retarded.

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Aimster
maybe more :-\

I think 800 dollars for ligths is excessive, but what do you all think?

$800 for freakin' light bulbs. That's just stupid. You create a good image of yourself with them I suppose. But that image to 98% of the population is idiot.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
That's what I'm trying to tell you. If your car came from the factory with halogen lighting, the ONLY xenon lighting that will be a direct "Plug & Play" will be the blue tinted bulbs. TRUE BMW xenon is a HID system, not just a bluish looking bulb.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/bmw/540notxenon.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/bmw/540headlights.htm
http://www.xenonvalot.com/xenonsys.html
He's been saying that he's going to replace the entire lighting assembly.

BMW, for a time, offered HID systems as an OPTION on some of their cars. What he has been saying for the entire thread is that he wants to swap his current ENTIRE ASSEMBLY with the optional HID assembly. This is only slightly more difficult than "plug and play", and should be no more difficult than replacing the assemblies with another halogen assembly would be.

Unfortunately, the page suggesting that HID lights require "dynamic height adjustment" is pure and unadulterated bullsh*t. Lincoln had HID headlights in 1996 without any active aiming system for the lights. They were statically aimed. So are the lights in the Honda S2000. In fact, the vast majority of factory HID systems are not equipped with any form of "dynamic height adjustment", that feature is a gimick (just like steerable headlights) that high-end companies trot out when they want a flashy feature to list in their sales literature. And don't get me started on the whole "headlight washers are required because glare goes way up when the lenses are dirty" part. That one's so stupid it's not worth addressing.

ZV

V00DOO

Diamond Member
Dec 2, 2000
In order to upgrade your BMW Halogen Headlights to Xenon HID you'll need HID Ballasts and complete new Xenon headlight units. I have Xenon Angel Eye HID in my E39 BMW 540I and beside the look I wouldn't spend $600 to $800 to have a little better visibility. Which series BMW do you have? If it's the 5 Series the Xenon Angel Eye do make a huge difference in looks after the upgrade. Are you looking for something like these?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: V00DOO
In order to upgrade your BMW Halogen Headlights to Xenon HID you'll need HID Ballasts and complete new Xenon headlight units. I have Xenon Angel Eye HID in my E39 BMW 540I and beside the look I wouldn't spend $600 to $800 to have a little better visibility. Which series BMW do you have? If it's the 5 Series the Xenon Angel Eye do make a huge difference in looks after the upgrade. Are you looking for something like these?

I have the same car as you sort-of.
X5

I would probably add angel eyes to mine later down the road as well.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Sorry, $800 for some bulbs is just plain absurd. You said you're looking for a "better driving experience"? Keep in mind that the bluer the light, the quicker it makes your eyes tired. If anything, this upgrade would make your driving experience less enjoyable.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Xanis
Sorry, $800 for some bulbs is just plain absurd. You said you're looking for a "better driving experience"? Keep in mind that the bluer the light, the quicker it makes your eyes tired. If anything, this upgrade would make your driving experience less enjoyable.

its not jsut for the bulb.. it will be for the complete housing light

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Originally posted by: z0mb13
Originally posted by: Xanis

its not jsut for the bulb.. it will be for the complete housing light

Still, it's crazy. If getting a small lighting improvement and special look is worth $800 to you, then go for it.

gooseman

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Why in the name of all things Holy would you want to spend $800 on lights for your car? You've either got more money than you know what to do with (and I certainly doubt that) or you ate a lot of paint chips as a child!