XClio Windtunnel - Dual 250mm fans and hold the rice. - Egads!

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
A ton of CFM blown around in a completely half-hazard, random fashion -- I'm not impressed.

Bluefront

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2002
There are several brands using these big fans......and there are variations to the fan. One has only seven blades. Apparently these fans can start at low voltage.....about 4v. So you could use this fan to construct a quiet, cool-running positive pressure case, without worrying about hot spots.

You'll likely see more of these big fan cases shortly. Antec is putting their 200mm fan on the side of an up-coming model. The design is being perfected as we speak.....it might work out. We'll see. :)

Remedy

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 1999
I don't understand why they would design the exhaust with just a 120mm fan? :confused: The 250mm fan over the HDD's should have just been the intake and the fan over the PCI components would've been the exhaust. It looks like too much positive pressure and very little negative pressure. Unless, the Power supply fan is 120mm as well and complimentary to the exhaust. :confused:

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
You don't need any other fans in that case. You need all the open grillwork so the air from those monsters has places to escape. I guess that they left the rear and front fan mounts and grills as they would be when this same chassis is used in more normal types of cases to save a abit of money. Some cases that have the big fan just have a big rectangle of grillwork there w/o any fan mounts.

The Windtunnel has grillwork near the top of each side panel, opposite the drive stack, on the top of the case as well (which could also be used to isolate the PSU air - PSU mounting plate allows mounting your PSU either way), and the normal 120mm fan grills front and rear for plenty of air escape venting. It comes with variable resistor fan controls so you can tune for whatever combo of cooling and noise that suits you.

.bh.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
That is overkill. Where are the air going to escape? having 2 250mm intake fans and 1 120mm out take kills air flow and could cause some serious problems.

I would rather have one 250mm fan on the side, and one 250mm on the top so there is some of a balanced air flow happening inside the case.

But as OP said, if you could have some sort of an opening (large) at the top, it just might work.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Edited my earlier post quite a bit.

Or you can always get the XClio 188A - half the metal, half the fans, less than half the price...

.bh.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I love 250mm fans but two of them arranged in that configuration may not be the ideal set up. One in front and one in rear would give you a better 'wind tunnel' effect I would think. That would make the case pretty wide though. Which may or may not be a bad thing.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
LOL, when you guys said wind tunnel, i thought you meant one of these from 'Silverstone'. I cant see or imagine any tunnel effect in that case?

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
I built a rig for my boss using this case and I'm actually very impressed with the performance. Very quiet and very good temps on an oced E6600.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Elfear
I built a rig for my boss using this case and I'm actually very impressed with the performance. Very quiet and very good temps on an oced E6600.

I'd be curious on how it is with dust after a couple or three weeks. Can you report back on that?

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Yeah, you'll definitely want to filter those hummers somehow unless it's in a very clean environment.

.bh.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
I'll have to admit...

Of all the POS cases you've recommended in these forums, since I've been here, this is one of the most interesting!

Um... and, I mean that in a good way! :D

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
In most instances I'm just bringing to your attention those that I happen upon that interest me in some way and that I can't recall having been noted here before. Don't take that to be a recommendation unless specifically stated. In this case, I think I would be safe in recommending it hands unfelt... ;) I can't see how the air from those boys wouldn't chase the air out from between the cards, get all up in your drives and even blow the dust inside your floppy out thru the disk slot...

About the only one of my casitude criteria it doesn't cover is the rubber isolation for the HDDs and that doesn't look like it would be hard to do something about if desired.

.bh.

Frintin

Oct 3, 2002
It still makes me laugh when I see it. I remember the first case I saw that had a huge fan. Some dude had a box fan sitting next to the open side of his computer. We are talking like 20 years ago too. Hilarious to say the least. Everyone was like "whao that is an awesome case mod!"

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Yeah, a box fan would probably be cheaper than a pair of 250's. Just do some hand balancing of the blade and get a furnace filter for the intake side. Definitely keep the innards clean.

.bh.

paydirt

Nov 2, 2006
Hmmm, The XClio 188A looks very nice for cooling down a GPU, and pretty cheap at $50. The only thing I don't like about that is the LED light on the fan and I don't really see where I can buy 250mm fans w/o LED to use as a replacement.

My fav cheap case with good locations for vents, etc, is the Rosewill 604-P mid tower that is only $30 + shipping. It has a vent right over where the GPU goes and a 120mm mount. 120mm mounts in the front and back, a CPU duct, and removable HDD tray.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Really working on that post count, eh? The Rosewill R560x and R6A__ series are the best Rosewill has to offer, IMO. Buy 'em when they are on special like they have been recently and some still are. Unfortunately they are a Newegg/ChiefValue house brand and aren't readily available elsewhere.

The Antec SLK3000-B is basically the same case as the R6A series but its appearance is really dated.

.bh.

paydirt

Nov 2, 2006
Yessir-ee! There was a time when you had only 14 posts, right?

For me, the Rosewill R5604 or the like does not have a couple of features (for me) that the 604-P has. (1) big GPU side vent, and (2) good front airflow. Plus the Rosewill 604-P is cheaper. As is you need to drill the R5604 to simply mount an extra GPU fan, and you'd also have to carve out the area for the air to blow through.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Yes, I started at 0 myself and it was farther back than 2001. My old stuff was rolled into this one with a new starting date. I almost never intentionally stoked my post count except when I was nearing the 1k mark. After that I've often passed k points w/o even noticing.

The 560x does have good front airflow - I own one. All you really need is enough to put a breeze over the HDD stack anyway - front fans have little effect on overall case cooling. Cheaper is as cheaper does - they are a bargain here in the US relative to what they cost in Europe (about 90E). If you had one in your hands you'd appreciate them more. They are based on the Yeong Yang YY-560x series. I like that they have rubber HDD isolators. I reviewed it on http://www.TechIMO.com/reviews/ if you're interested.

.bh.