Xbox won't read +r's and PS2 will.

ericboo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2001
I have a month old Xbox with the Samsung drive (found pics to tellthem apart) and I burned a movie in DVDShrink on my new Liteon 8x burner (TDK 4x disk) and Xbox would not recognize it, but PS2 would. I also tried an older movie that was on a Maxell +R done on my Memorex 2.4X burner and that would not work in Xbox either.

Is there something I am missing? I thought the Samsung drive was the best?

I could use a hand here.

TIA

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
The question is why are you using +R when it's clear that you should be using -R.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: sygyzy
The question is why are you using +R when it's clear that you should be using -R.

Probably because that drive can write +r at 8x while only 4x for -r.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

The X-Box drive is so finnicky reading burned discs anyway, that you are supposed to burn at slower speeds to help insure you will get a good read. 8x for disc that your X-Box can't read or 4x at one it can? Your choice.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

The X-Box drive is so finnicky reading burned discs anyway, that you are supposed to burn at slower speeds to help insure you will get a good read. 8x for disc that your X-Box can't read or 4x at one it can? Your choice.

Precisely.

zzzz

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2000
Originally posted by: dexvx
XBox likes -R media and hates +R.

Should've done some research.

not true. Thomson and philips drives read +R without any problem.

KevinF

Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by: zzzz
Originally posted by: dexvx
XBox likes -R media and hates +R.

Should've done some research.

not true. Thomson and philips drives read +R without any problem.

Very true, for the most part. I'm sure you can find someone who will trade drives with you, if you're interested. They might even pay you cash onto of it, the Samsung drive is much more highly desired than any other. Check out the forums at Xbox Scene.

ericboo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2001
It's brand new so no swapping drives. I am burning +r's because that is all I have and I just got a dual format drive yesterday. I will pick -r's and give them a shot.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Try using a program like dvdbitsetter if you haven't already. The Xbox will (sometimes) refuse DVDs coded as DVD+R instead of DVD-ROM.

ericboo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2001
Is the DVD player kit reuired to play DVD's? I assume Xbox would still recognize the disk format.

I will look into DVD Bitsetter.

Thanks.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: ericboo
Is the DVD player kit reuired to play DVD's? I assume Xbox would still recognize the disk format.

I will look into DVD Bitsetter.

Thanks.
Yes you need the DVD Kit to play it back. It still costs $30, though many would've bought it for more when it first came out... those things were sold out everywhere at one point.