XBOX with S-Video or Component cable?

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I just bought a Toshiba flat screen TV (non- HDTV) with S-Video and Color Stream Component Inputs. I was looking to get a s-video cable, but I read that component connections are much better.

However, the TV manual says that if the dvd player (or in my case, the XBOX) doesn't put out 480i, then it won't work.

Will the component cables work with my XBOX to output the correct picture? If so, how much should I be paying for a component cable? Looking on Ebay, it looks like the component cables are for HDTV outputs.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Svideo. Not worth it on a non-big screen non-HDTV to go with component cables.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Not sure on whether component will work, but I would presume it does, simply because my TV is a fairly cheapy one and component works with xbox. In regards to s vs. component the benefits of C are likely to be minimally noticed by you. I would agree with vi_edit that the benefit is negligible.

Nikamichi

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2003
Definitely go with the S-video cables, you'll have no probs, just better picture. Unless you have an HDTV, component cables aren't worth a dime.

JonnyBlaze

Diamond Member
May 24, 2001
i would go with component. you should be able to run it in progressive mode which is worth it

JBlaze