News XBOX Series S trailer leaked

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
At first glance it does look pretty good value: after all you can only get a 1660 non-SUPER for a similar price (though at 4 TFLOPs this console has similar graphics power).

Nevertheless Microsoft's business model here seems to be 100% on the $35 subscription model for "free" multiplayer and "free" games. Considering how much even ancient console games cost (when buying digitally rather than disks) the costs start to ramp up quickly. Still considering a comparable gaming PC will cost you about 1000$ it's still a bargain.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Nevertheless Microsoft's business model here seems to be 100% on the $35 subscription model for "free" multiplayer and "free" games.
$35? Is that for Gold per year?

It's definitely an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate (which includes Gold and PC) box, but that costs 12.99€ per month here which isn't that bad really considering how often Game Pass has games on launch date (where three of them each year can make the service worth its price).

It's quite odd, I'm fully on the side of physical games and generally think digital games and services are a bad idea, and never have been a particular fan of Xbox. But this is starting to look good to me. I guess I'm getting old.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
MS seems to be hell bent on subscription services. I have no idea how they are doing business wise, but Game Pass thing on PC has been greatest value in gaming EVER for me. Since it is not avail in my country, i have managed to subscribe in Poland, and due to Zlot conversion the price is like 4 euro per month. And boy what a ride for those 4 euros per months it has been. Playing stuff like Wasteland 3, flight sim, CK3, FH4 alone is hundreds of euros if bought at launch. Pretty much it means playing amazing great games during launch for sub AAA game price per year lol. And by the time these games get DLC, i will be able to buy the ones i like for base discount + DLC price.

Oh and they are improving the app lately, it was in race with certain vendor from U letter for the most retarded game store, but nowadays seems to work just fine. I don't mind it at all in post Steam monopoly world.

Looking forward to Xbox, IF i can "extend" same sub and get games on PC and Xbox for say twice the money, i'm all in.

Reactions: lightmanek

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Oh and they are improving the app lately, it was in race with certain vendor from U letter for the most retarded game store, but nowadays seems to work just fine. I don't mind it at all in post Steam monopoly world.

Does it still keep CPU's from going into sleep mode?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
MS seems to be hell bent on subscription services. I have no idea how they are doing business wise, but Game Pass thing on PC has been greatest value in gaming EVER for me. Since it is not avail in my country, i have managed to subscribe in Poland, and due to Zlot conversion the price is like 4 euro per month. And boy what a ride for those 4 euros per months it has been. Playing stuff like Wasteland 3, flight sim, CK3, FH4 alone is hundreds of euros if bought at launch. Pretty much it means playing amazing great games during launch for sub AAA game price per year lol. And by the time these games get DLC, i will be able to buy the ones i like for base discount + DLC price.

Looking forward to Xbox, IF i can "extend" same sub and get games on PC and Xbox for say twice the money, i'm all in.

Gamepass on PC has been $5 in the US since launch, the regular price is $10. It is half-price because still in beta. Agreed it is a great deal, I have played soo many great games I never would have even thought to try (for example The Touryst, great little indie game I probably never would have bought).

Ultimate is $15, includes console/pc/streaming/live gold. Not sure how pricing works in EU.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
So the Xbox Series launch date is November 10th.

Shame it's not got an optical drive. So much easier to pick up cheap physical copies of old console games, and it's handy to have a Blu Ray player.
Yeah, it's essentially a Game Pass box. Imo not worth it without that, so not a product for those who don't like/use such a service.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
We were promised 60fps @ 4k on current gen consoles and I don't think we ever got that through the entire life cycle. People who believe these numbers that MS is spewing out are gullible as hell.

This console can have all the power in the world but it doesn't matter if games don't take advantage of it. We all saw Halo Infinite that was on the "most powerful console ever" on the Series X, and we saw how bad it looked. It would look even worse on the series S.

MS is going to have to show me something that completely wows me that I can't play anywhere else in order to get me excited about the new Xbox. And this coming from someone who has purchased every Xbox console at launch up until this one.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I would 100% buy at launch if it had a UHD drive and the playback app had all HDR modes available.

Should be *super* slick as a media device, nothing else has the specs to touch it.

Without the drive it's dead to me. A Roku Ultra can do fine.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I would 100% buy at launch if it had a UHD drive and the playback app had all HDR modes available.

Should be *super* slick as a media device, nothing else has the specs to touch it.

Without the drive it's dead to me. A Roku Ultra can do fine.

That is kinda sad. The Xbox One and Xbox One S were fantastic Blu-ray players and streaming consoles.

Of course, I don't really rent or buy Blu-ray discs anymore. Maybe I'm feeling nostalgia for old school Netflix by mail, where you could basically watch any movie you wanted six months after it came out no matter who produced it. None of this "streaming content studio agreement" BS we have to deal with now.

I'm hoping that Brianmanahan is going to fix that problem when he inevitably gets into a position of political power!

Reactions: Thunder 57

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
So much easier to pick up cheap physical copies of old console games

That's part of the point.

Yeah, it's essentially a Game Pass box. Imo not worth it without that, so not a product for those who don't like/use such a service.

I believe digital share is like 50%, sure it's not like 100% like PC is but it's not a small minority. Presumably not every game will be on Gamepass, so if you want those, you will have to pay as normal.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That is kinda sad. The Xbox One and Xbox One S were fantastic Blu-ray players and streaming consoles.

Of course, I don't really rent or buy Blu-ray discs anymore. Maybe I'm feeling nostalgia for old school Netflix by mail, where you could basically watch any movie you wanted six months after it came out no matter who produced it. None of this "streaming content studio agreement" BS we have to deal with now.

I'm hoping that Brianmanahan is going to fix that problem when he inevitably gets into a position of political power!
I use Redbox all the time to rent blurays. I use PS4 over X1 though to watch them. I had 2 dedicated bluray players that I used but they both crapped out on me so I figured WTF is the point of getting a standalone when I already have multiples.

Since the rona started though there hasn't been much at all coming to Redbox since there simply hasn't been new stuff being produced.

Reactions: blckgrffn

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
what is this

Microsoft is making two new consoles. A 1080p / 1440p model and a 4K model. The cheaper one will be $299 (this model, this series S.)

We do not know the price of the more expensive model yet. Brad Sams or maybe it was the WalkingCat @_h0x0d_ , got the leaks first last night and Microsoft announced it this morning since half the cat was out of the bag.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
do we know what's in it?
Some things we are more certain of and some things less certain.

We are certain it is the same CPU. We have teraflop numbers so we can have a rough idea of execution unites for the Graphics Card. Today we learn the storage amount of the ssd.

Supposedly it has 10 gb of ram not 16 gbs due to not needing as much memory due to lower resolutions. This part makes me nervous if they want the same games to work on both.

———

Sidenote it is not going to happen but at these specs I wish Microsoft would allow you to install Windows on it, or offer one of those expansion slots with windows on the 1 TB external SSD they are making that goes in a dedicated slot.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElFenix

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
This looks promising. My PS4 pro is hooked up to my IPS 27" 1440P monitor and I have zero interest in upgrading to a 4K monitor. I've never bought a game on a disk in the 2 years I've had my PS4 pro so could care less about an optical drive. The gigabit FIOS connection I have downloads games in a jiffy. All I want is a box that can play 1440P games at solid framerates. If this box maintains good FPS at 1440P that's a deal at $299. As long as I can add an additional SSD at a reasonable price that's dandy.

Reactions: misuspita

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
If this box maintains good FPS at 1440P that's a deal at $299. As long as I can add an additional SSD at a reasonable price that's dandy.

Those two might be the catch. The first is that cross-plat games that ditch current gen will pretty obviously use the Series S as the baseline. Will that eventually mean 1080p30 later on in the cycle? 1440p30?

Also seems like MS will only let you use a storage card made by Segate. 1 TB only and couldn't find a price for it. You can actually use any external USB drive as well but only for current gen games.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
This looks promising. My PS4 pro is hooked up to my IPS 27" 1440P monitor and I have zero interest in upgrading to a 4K monitor. I've never bought a game on a disk in the 2 years I've had my PS4 pro so could care less about an optical drive. The gigabit FIOS connection I have downloads games in a jiffy. All I want is a box that can play 1440P games at solid framerates. If this box maintains good FPS at 1440P that's a deal at $299. As long as I can add an additional SSD at a reasonable price that's dandy.
Just keep in mind that PS4 and X1 promised us 60fps @ 4k as well. And at the end of the console life cycles they have yet to deliver on that.

Reactions: Thunder 57

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Just keep in mind that PS4 and X1 promised us 60fps @ 4k as well. And at the end of the console life cycles they have yet to deliver on that.

Jaguar was just never going to be able to make that happen. Even clocked all the way to 2.1 GHz!!! 😂

Months ago when these basic specs were “known” there was always this talk of “1440p”. It boggled my mind. What is the point of that? Was that just to elevate it above the One which is considered a 1080p console (I guess?). 1080p60 always seemed like a much more realistic target. It should have enough oomph to do that in basically all titles that also run on the One S/X and the PS4. Isn’t using this step up resolution for AA one of the least efficient methods as well?

Thank goodness it has the real deal CPU so we can at least have great physics and stuff someday, even when the effects are all on the low presets for the GPU.

Does HDMI 2.1 VRR support sub 60 FPS? That was one of the improvements to Freesync 2 IIRC, in that it could help smooth inputs on even lower refresh rates when there was dips to help keep the action seamless. I would expect that to be in play here too. And while features like volumetric fog disabled, which gives titles quite a different aesthetic when used well, I think.

Last edited: