Xbox One S gets 16nm FinFET SoC (TSMC)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I'm confused, is this Neo and Scorpio next gen consoles? Seems a quick release window, I would have thought they would milk the PS4/XB1 some more.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Well, you would think that Apple would be monopolizing the wafers given the release of the iPhone 7 in a month and a half. Between all of nVidia's new GPUs and this new XBone you'd think there wouldn't be enough to go around.

I'm confused, is this Neo and Scorpio next gen consoles? Seems a quick release window, I would have thought they would milk the PS4/XB1 some more.

The Neo is really just a GPU upgrade for higher resolutions and to help out PSVR. The CPU does get improved but not much. Scorpio is more next-gen but you have to wonder if it's going to be simply a regular PC. Going to be super expensive I bet.

Mercennarius

Oct 28, 2015
The Neo is really just a GPU upgrade for higher resolutions and to help out PSVR. The CPU does get improved but not much. Scorpio is more next-gen but you have to wonder if it's going to be simply a regular PC. Going to be super expensive I bet.

Scorpio will likely come in at a $400-$500 MSRP.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Scorpio is more next-gen but you have to wonder if it's going to be simply a regular PC.

A "regular PC" would totally break backwards compatibility with XBox One games. They are written expecting a unified memory pool, paired with a fast ESRAM buffer accessible from both CPU and GPU. I would be very surprised if they didn't get another semicustom APU.