Xbox One controller to function with PC...in 2014

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I guess this belongs here as people use their Xbox 360 controllers for the PC all the time. Official drivers and support will roll out in 2014, but I expect since the charge cable also transmits data when plugged in and shuts off the wireless, that someone will hack it to function fine like motionjoy PS3 controller support before MS gets it working directly.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/12/xbox-one-controller-pc-compatibility-coming-in-2014

AdamantC

Apr 19, 2011
If the cable makes it perform like, you know, an actual wired pad, I'll be all over this.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Good to hear. As long as it's backwards-compatible with the 360-era PC games that natively supported a 360 pad - rather than being restricted to Xbox One only ports - I will buy one.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I don't know what the big hurry is. Just keep using the 360 controller until proper drivers get released. It's not like PC games that have controller support are going to stop supporting the 360 controller. In fact I would be surprised to see any real XB1 controller support in PC games until late next year.

I'm actually far more curious as to if Sony is going to officially support the PS4 controller on PC with real drivers. That way people will have more options

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Good to hear. As long as it's backwards-compatible with the 360-era PC games that natively supported a 360 pad - rather than being restricted to Xbox One only ports - I will buy one.

The reason those games natively supported the 360 was because it is in Direct X 9+. So, in theory, once the drivers make it to PC, the Xbox One controller will function entirely the same.

I suspect this is more than just wired connectivity though. The more I read about Wifi Direct, the more I think MS will include some Software Access Point to Windows that will allow you to connect via Wifi if you have a supported router (regardless of the security concerns of enabling the options on your router).

The USB charger is already confirmed to transfer data (which the wireless 360 controllers did not support, but the Wireless Windows 360 controllers did).

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I'm actually far more curious as to if Sony is going to officially support the PS4 controller on PC with real drivers. That way people will have more options

Sony will never release official PC drivers for their gamepads. If they did, they would be supporting one of their competitors; specifically, allowing people to use Sony controllers on a Microsoft platform.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
I must say watching the video I'm impressed with the Xbox One controller. I know it's not radically different, but just the attention to detail in all of the small changes is pretty neat. I've always preferred Xbox controllers to PS controllers. My favorite is still the original gigantic Xbox controller.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
A lot of people hated "the Duke", but I liked it more than the S Class they eventually released.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I don't know what the big hurry is. Just keep using the 360 controller until proper drivers get released. It's not like PC games that have controller support are going to stop supporting the 360 controller. In fact I would be surprised to see any real XB1 controller support in PC games until late next year.

Doesn't need support really...the layout is exactly the same except with improved dpad and other small tweaks.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Great, now we can get even more crappy ports with shoddy controls on the PC. :(

As a PC player for 20 years, my hands simply don't work with controllers.

lamedude

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Sony will never release official PC drivers for their gamepads. If they did, they would be supporting one of their competitors; specifically, allowing people to use Sony controllers on a Microsoft platform.
Looking at SoE's PC releases compared to MS Game Studio's I'd say Sony cares more about PC gaming than MS. DS3 is HID complaint so a driver isn't needed when used by USB (IIRC it just needs something to turn the controller on).

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
In other news Microsoft studies feasibility of mounting Orwellian cameras on game pads.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
In other news Microsoft studies feasibility of mounting Orwellian cameras on game pads.

You seriously think that? Kinct is not even required for the Xbox one anymore. They tried telling everyone you needed it because they wouldn't sell otherwise. Now it is in the box but you never even have to plug it in.

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
You know I've never once used a controller for PC gaming. Maybe this will be the tipping point for me.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
You know I've never once used a controller for PC gaming. Maybe this will be the tipping point for me.

Some games play much better with them. If you play Dark Souls without a controller, it is painful. A community fix came out that helped the mouse, but even then, it wasn't very intuitive. Fighters are particularly annoying on a keyboard for some as well, and the price of a controller is much less than a fightstick.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Currently have a wired 360 controller that's working just fine. The launch of the Xbox One will hopefully mean cheaper 360 controllers that I imagine most PC gamers will opt for.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I'd imagine the 360 controller be EOL soon and that is why the Xbox One controller is being shown as coming soon.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

I can't use the keyboard for games like Batman, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, and The Witcher. I did try with the Witcher but I found it more enjoyable with a 360 controller.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
I can't use the keyboard for games like Batman, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, and The Witcher. I did try with the Witcher but I found it more enjoyable with a 360 controller.

The most common problem is that when a game is made natively for a gamepad, it's a pain in the ass on a keyboard with a mouse, especially when it comes to jumping. Oh god how I hate jumping sequences in games.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
The most common problem is that when a game is made natively for a gamepad, it's a pain in the ass on a keyboard with a mouse, especially when it comes to jumping. Oh god how I hate jumping sequences in games.

Speaking of jumping sequences, try Giana Sisters without a controller. It's hard enough with one.