Xbox Live Gold membership free... forever!

santz

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2006

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/01/18/Xbox_Live_Gold_membership_free_forever/

"Ever fancied not paying for your Xbox Live Gold account? One rather fortuitous gamer believes he has stumbled upon a way to allow himself to enable Xbox Live forever without paying.

We spoke to the gamer, who asked to remain anonymous, to see if we could find out more details. Asked why he wasn?t explaining what had happened he replied:

?I've sent Microsoft all the details of what I did. However, I can't tell anyone, I?ve been told by a Microsoft game studio developer if I do Microsoft will be extremely pissed off, if I don?t there won?t be any legal consequences.?

The error, which the young man has posted a video documenting (see below), allows the gamer to have free access to an Xbox Live Gold account. The Xbox Live service allows gamers to play multiplayer and download demos and movies. Currently gamers pay a yearly subscription fee of £40.

The anonymous free rider has posted a video as he wants Microsoft to be aware of the problem and to find a fix. Despite not wanting to say exactly what the problem is he did reveal that it isn?t a loop hole in the site itself and that he believes it comes through the way in which you sign up your account for Xbox Live. He concedes however that it could just be a minor bug and that for whatever reason his account has slipped through the net.

Now Microsoft will face a race against time to stop hackers from cottoning on to what is going on here. If you want to check the video out for yourself click below and then give us your opinions over in the forums."

video link at the website or youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jaTeYc49TE&eurl=

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Yeah...that was real brilliant of him to show his gamercard....

Jan 31, 2002
On the contrary. For giving MS the details and not showing others how to do it, he'll probably get lifetime Gold membership.

OTOH, he's going to be hassled in every game he joins by 13-year-old kiddies for not telling them how to "h4x0r" the "M$ monopoly" :p

- M4H

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
this is a well known loophole that gamers have been taking advantage of for a while now. no biggie

JohnAn2112

Diamond Member
May 8, 2003
Originally posted by: daveymark
this is a well known loophole that gamers have been taking advantage of for a while now. no biggie

Care to explain how it's done?

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: JohnAn2112

sharing something like that would be akin to explaining how to use torrents - so no, I'd care not to explain how it's done.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001

sharing something like that would be akin to explaining how to use torrents - so no, I'd care not to explain how it's done.

In other words, you are a liar. Just be a man and admit it.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Wait, I watched the video, and I don't get what the loop hole is, can someone care to explain to me? What I saw was the date on the xbox account shown date/month, and on the other tab where the kid shows the news site, it's displayed in month/date. I don't get it.

Edit: Basically, the idiot that made the video account has expired, and they forgot to cut his subscription. It's probably a manual checking process, or they may just have a grace period. That idiot should have kept his mouth shut, this is akin to receiving free cable, nothing more. And here I thought somebody with some 1337 skilletz, nothing to see here folks, move along.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Wait, I watched the video, and I don't get what the loop hole is, can someone care to explain to me? What I saw was the date on the xbox account shown date/month, and on the other tab where the kid shows the news site, it's displayed in month/date. I don't get it.

Edit: Basically, the idiot that made the video account has expired, and they forgot to cut his subscription. It's probably a manual checking process, or they may just have a grace period. That idiot should have kept his mouth shut, this is akin to receiving free cable, nothing more. And here I thought somebody with some 1337 skilletz, nothing to see here folks, move along.

He's saying his free trial should have expired by now, but it hasn't...

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: XZeroII

In other words, you are a liar. Just be a man and admit it.

Easy, junior - it's just an unethical loophole. don't get your panties in a twist over it. It'll be closed soon enough. While I enjoy lying on an internet forum, this is one of those things you just don't lie about.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
The video didn't make any sense to me either, I had to read posts. MS will fix the prob and no one will give it forever without paying for it.

thumbsdown!