Xbox as Vicious Cruncher

trevinom

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
Has anybody tried to use either and modded Xbox or PS/2 to do some crunching. I figure my Xbox and PS/2 are always one for some reason or other. If I could install Linux on them, I could probably have some more crunching power. I don't know how fast they would be though...

CXGJarrod

Jan 27, 2004
From http://www.xboxusersgroup.com/modules.php?s=&name=NS-Specs

* Intel Pentium III 733MHz processor technology with Streaming SIMD Extensions.
* 233Mhz custom-designed X-Chip NV2a, developed by Microsoft and nVidia.
* 64 MB of RAM (unified memory architecture).
* Custom 3-D audio processor.
* 8GB hard drive.
* 5X DVD drive with movie playback.
* Four game controller ports.
* Expansion port.
* Proprietary A/V connector.
* 10/100 MBps Ethernet.
* Broadband enabled.
* Modem enabled (optional).
* 6.4GB/sec Memory Bandwidth.
* 150 million micropolygons/particles per second.
* 150 million transformed and lit polygons per second.
* 100 million polygons per second sustained performance (shading, texturing).
* 4 simultaneous textures.
* Compressed textures available at 6:1 compression.
* Full-scene anti-aliasing.
* DVD movie playback.
* 1920x1080 maximum resolution.
* HDTV support.
* 256Audio channels.
* 3D Audio support.
* Midi/DLS2 support.

Silverthorne

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2004
You can install Linux on the Xbox, read here. I was just at Best Buy today looking for the game Mechassault, here's the reason why., but they didn't have it.

Coolkid

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2003
Someone over at BBR had an xbox crunching SETI, the times were pretty slow tho...

trevinom

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Coolkid
Someone over at BBR had an xbox crunching SETI, the times were pretty slow tho...

I do F@H, I wonder if it's even worth hacking it. Maybe when Microsoft comes out with Xbox II :)

FatAlbo

Golden Member
May 11, 2000
New versions of MechAssault are already patched, so you can't use the savegame hack.

trevinom

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
So do any of you anandtechers have the tools/knowledge/ability to perform this hack? If I can fold my Xbox into my fleet, I can help out F@H a bit more. I might even be tempted to set up a rack of Xboxes, if I can buy them used...

Silverthorne

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2004
Originally posted by: trevinom
So do any of you anandtechers have the tools/knowledge/ability to perform this hack? If I can fold my Xbox into my fleet, I can help out F@H a bit more. I might even be tempted to set up a rack of Xboxes, if I can buy them used...

This forum has some info but I believe your Xbox has to have a mod chip.

CyGoR

Platinum Member
Jun 23, 2001
the Xbox II will be much better for crunching F@H or Seti.. Although it's always nice to have a Xbox crunching :D
But what I just read, you can connect a Xbox controller to the PC! :) With just a little modification to the cable
and a little soldering it's capable of USB-connection.. Only thing is, the site who has a very nice USB driver for the
controller is down :( (codeunderground)

Anyone with any experience? I'm searching for a mod to make a PSX or Xbox controller capable of USB to PC connection
(I don't have a parallel port on my pc ;))

CyGoR

Platinum Member
Jun 23, 2001
I looked for such an adapter, but couldn't find it anywhere here in the Netherlands..
So I bought a PSX->Xbox adapter which I modded to USB :) works perfectly!

Silverthorne

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2004
Well I did finally manage to get linux on my Xbox. Here's where I got the install from. Now I just need to see if I can get a DC client running. If you're going to try it make sure you download the home edition.