xbox 720 games port to pc

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
When the xbox 720 comes out later on this year there are bound to be some new games comming out with it. Do you think a console port of the new games to the PC push our computer systems, being gfx card, cpu and ram a lot more quite soon? Or do you think it will take a while for higher quality 720 ports to come out?

Saffron

Nov 16, 2012
There will most likely be some exclusives upon release that may utilize most of its power, but you won't see many. Developers will need time to adjust to the new hardware before you start seen a larger quantity of games that will use the system to its potential.

paul878

Jul 31, 2010
I think all the games for the Xbox720 going to be Exclusive to push sale of the new console. You going to have to wait a while to play it on the PC.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
I think all the games for the Xbox720 going to be Exclusive to push sale of the new console. You going to have to wait a while to play it on the PC.

doubt it

MS doesnt own jack crap when it comes to exclusives. They have to buy exclusive where as sony have their own studios.

Games need all 3 platforms these days to make money.

Anything worth playing will come to PC.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
When the xbox 720 comes out later on this year there are bound to be some new games comming out with it. Do you think a console port of the new games to the PC push our computer systems, being gfx card, cpu and ram a lot more quite soon? Or do you think it will take a while for higher quality 720 ports to come out?

I honestly don't think that upcoming xbox/ps4 games will push current PC hardware that much. I do think that they may reach performance/IQ parity with current PC releases.

What we will see is Xbox 720/PS4 games rendered in 1080p at 30 or 60fps, and I don't see that really pushing PC hardware that we have right now.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012

some exclusives, sure, but not all...
I'm pretty sure games will start to push the PCs a lot harder when the next xbox is released...

I remember when the 360 was released, some of the launch titles were multiplatform like CoD 2, NFS Most Wanted and some months later things like Oblivion... these games all used DX9 and were a lot heavier than most games from a few months before (late 2005), I think.

Nov 19, 2011
Comparing xbox360 specs vs. what I think will be in xbox720

New consoles will most likely have 2-4gb of system ram vs. 256mb in current consoles
New consoles will most likely have 1gb Ati 68xx-78xx range cards vs. Radeon X800 graphics cards in current console.
New consoles will most likely have ???? vs. Ibm xenon 3core multithreaded (capable of doing 6 threads at once)

Doing a rough calculation your looking about 10x increase in gpu power and ram amount over current generation. I really have no idea what they will do with cpu but 10x power should be possible.

So long as they don't totally cheap out in parts these next gen. consoles will be insane and will make top end pcs slow to a crawl the same way pcs did when the xbox360 came out.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
Radeon 7800 series? No chance. We'd by lucky to see Radeon 6850 considering the rumors of a 6670 that make us all want to throw up.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004

New consoles will most likely have 2-4gb of system ram vs. 256mb in current consoles
New consoles will most likely have 1gb Ati 68xx-78xx range cards vs. Radeon X800 graphics cards in current console.
New consoles will most likely have ???? vs. Ibm xenon 3core multithreaded (capable of doing 6 threads at once)

Doing a rough calculation your looking about 10x increase in gpu power and ram amount over current generation. I really have no idea what they will do with cpu but 10x power should be possible.

So long as they don't totally cheap out in parts these next gen. consoles will be insane and will make top end pcs slow to a crawl the same way pcs did when the xbox360 came out.

If the next gen consoles actually render at a native 1920x1080 they're going to need all the hardware they can get just to keep up with current PCs. Rendering at a low resolutions and upscaling to 1080p has allowed consoles to appear to have better performance than they really do. These upscaled games look decent enough on a big screen across the living room, but they look pretty crappy on a 1080p desktop PC LCD display.

Don't get me wrong, I dig my 360... It's a great little box for the money, but it can't now and never could compete with any PC I've owned since it came out in terms of image quality.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I don't think MS and Sony are willing to sell their new consoles for as much of a loss as last gen, hence the hardware, while more powerful than PS3 and XBOX360, won't be very impressive for pc gamers.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
Its most likely going to suck bigtime.

Sony is Broke = no much loss per console if any.

How much is a GPU and 2GB of DDR5 again? I just paid £300 just for a GPU. Even with bulk discounts sony cant even afford a 460 GTX in each PS4.

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
At the beginning, I pretty much expect the consoles to receive quick ports of the PC versions. I think a big reason to why we see more and more PC games ditching DX9 now in favor of DX11 is because the studios are making the engines ready for the next generation.

I think alot of people underestimate the significance of the PC's current overhead however.
This is from AMD
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/16/farewell-to-directx/2

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I think we'll get a bunch of crappy ports that need uber hardware to run because of bad optimization. It will be the same as it is now, but the ports will look a little better and you'll need better hardware to compensate for the gaming industry's hatred of PC's.

computerbuildin

Nov 23, 2011

Just wondering, I dont remember where I heard this, but I did. I thought the newer Xbox 360S Consoles had more RAM?

On a sidenote to that, is there any other differences from the xbox 360 to the xbox 360S other than the different usb ports etc on the back, a different layout of the front and it having those touch-sensing power buttons? Well besides it being completely different in general, like its size, where all of its parts are and all that stuff. I mean like is there any differences in the components/parts in it?

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009

MS said 6x's increase. Which is about 20x's less than current PC's, however devs can push far more material out of a specific hardware configuration which in reality will make them close to equal.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
I think alot of people underestimate the significance of the PC's current overhead however.
This is from AMD
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/16/farewell-to-directx/2

The overhead is pretty big from what I can gather, and so is the cost for PC gaming. However, I think a lot of people somehow feel that console games are more optimized than they really are. Developers can code directly for the hardware which surely reduces overhead, but a lot of this optimization involves simply rendering at a low internal resolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_3

Halo 3 does not natively render at true HD resolution (at least 720 lines of vertical resolution). In a Bungie Weekly Update, it was confirmed that the game renders at 1152×640 resolution instead of the usual 1280×720 (HD) resolution that most Xbox 360 games use. This is because Halo 3 uses two frame buffers instead of the usual one, so the lower resolution allowed Bungie to preserve as much of the dynamic range as possible for the game's lighting without adversely affecting the frame rate. The image can be upscaled to 1080p by the Xbox 360

...way more info here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

Honestly, in terms of image quality between my xbox and PC, the low resolution and often lack of AA on the console is the most glaring difference.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
You only need to play Mass Effect 3 on PC to see how CRAP the consoles graphics are. There are sections lifted right from the console and they look terrible.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You only need to play Mass Effect 3 on PC to see how CRAP the consoles graphics are.

Mass Effect 3 is considered to have poor graphics on the consoles ignoring the existence of the PC altogether.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I'm still impressed by Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 everytime i play it.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
You can buy, off the shelf, a Core i3, motherboard, hard drive, 4GB RAM and HD7770 for a similar amount to the top end Xbox 360 launched at, comparing UK prices for components to the UK Xbox 360 release price.

Of course, you then need an optical drive, case, PSU and some assembly, but cut down the prices for the above components from retail to OEM/semi customised, and it's not that out of reach that they could manage some pretty beefy hardware without it costing that much. Obviously they don't be using x86 components/etc, but that just gives you an idea what commercially available PC hardware might be able to be had for money not that much different to an Xbox.

Also, reading iSuppli cost numbers always makes me laugh, I don't know where they come up with this crap from, I really don't, otherwise I would have used some Xbox related numbers for comparison, but when iSuppli lists optical and hard drives for prices above retail at that time (I remember checking when the iSuppli reports were released and being astounded at their estimates), and an Xbox PSU costing $25 to make... you just can't take them seriously.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
7800 series is a pipe dream. At best we will get a 7750 imo

More likely something like a 7670.

And then we'll need to wait until 2020 for the next console. So imagine that. In 2019 we're going to have consoles with graphics chips considered somewhat feeble by 2012 standards going up against whatever pcs will have in 2019. Hell by then integrated graphics will destroy the consoles.

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
It is a pitty you can't have a modular based console where you can upgrade ram, cpu and gfx card albiet much more simpler than doing it on the PC.

Pottuvoi

Apr 16, 2012
It is a pitty you can't have a modular based console where you can upgrade ram, cpu and gfx card albiet much more simpler than doing it on the PC.
Then it wouldn't really have any of the advantages of consoles either..

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Hopefully it will support tessellation and high resolution textures. Blocky environment + low res. textures is the biggest problem with console ports graphically imo.