xbox 720 games port to pc

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zlatan

Mar 15, 2011
When the xbox 720 comes out later on this year there are bound to be some new games comming out with it. Do you think a console port of the new games to the PC push our computer systems, being gfx card, cpu and ram a lot more quite soon? Or do you think it will take a while for higher quality 720 ports to come out?
You may watch this video from Gareth Thomas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxao1_Y0-jI
This is a very good summary of what's expected from next gen.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
I went on Newegg and worked out how much a "low end" gaming PC would cost:

Celeron G540 (2.5GHz)
Cheapest mATX mobo
4GB Corsair RAM (2x2GB)
HD7750
Bluray Drive (4x)
Cheap case and cheap PSU
320GB HDD

Total: $299

Not even joking... Xbox 720 better have some beefy hardware...

Some of those have instant rebates, but equally MS wouldn't be paying those same prices anyway.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1061446/xbox.png
Cart for reference.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
You forget something significant about the next Xbox. It'll come shipped with the Kinect 2. And they want ALL of that (Box + Controller + Kinect) to sell for approximately $399 and still get them a profit, or at least break even.

Nintendo, selling a WiiU at $349, actually gets a slight loss (they said they break even on one software sale). Why? It has far more meager hardware than that Newegg PC you posted, after all. It's the controller with a touchscreen that is driving it up. Xbox Next will have a similar problem.

I'd like a 7770 or even 7750, but there's a reason the rumour of 6670 came around. Gameplay and features (or gimmicks, your choice) is trumping graphics this time around. All sides learned from the Wii. They realize they need a graphic improvement too, because the Wii also taught the failures of pathetic hardware running modern games, but even a 6670 vaults a new console decently ahead of the 360 and PS3 - something you couldn't say about the Wii compared to the Xbox 1 and even the Gamecube.

It's just that a 6670 is pathetic compared to our current rigs. I find it rather saddening that a MACINTOSH from nearly a YEAR BEFORE the Xbox 720 and PS4 launch has a far superior graphics chip in it. Seriously, the new iMac packs a beastly GTX 680M or even an option for the juggernaut 680MX, the latter actually trading blows with the desktop GTX 660 Ti. Thank god PC gaming has a strong forecast for once (compare 2012 to 2010's "PC gaming is dead").

Last edited:

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
Im not looking forward to the next console cycle. Both MS and Sony have lost a fortune on this one.

I think next gen is going to be a lame duck.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Until you look at them on a monitor that doesn't upscale as well as a TV does.

PC+PS3=same monitor

Im not looking forward to the next console cycle. Both MS and Sony have lost a fortune on this one.

I think next gen is going to be a lame duck.

You should hope not, perhaps you don't recall the last video game market crash.

Last edited:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
You forget something significant about the next Xbox. It'll come shipped with the Kinect 2. And they want ALL of that (Box + Controller + Kinect) to sell for approximately $399 and still get them a profit, or at least break even.

Two cameras, a motorized mount, motion/position detection hardware, etc doesn't cost that much at all.

Certainly not the $100 or $150 they currently charge for it. It's probably closer to $15. (and before someone spazzes out, $57 is closer to $15 than it is to $100.)

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I went on Newegg and worked out how much a "low end" gaming PC would cost:

Celeron G540 (2.5GHz)
Cheapest mATX mobo
4GB Corsair RAM (2x2GB)
HD7750
Bluray Drive (4x)
Cheap case and cheap PSU
320GB HDD

Total: $299

Yeah but you see, when MS orders millions of those direct from the manufacturer instead of NewEgg they are probably only going to be able to make a hundred and fifty dollars prof.... no wait, uhm, the consoles are going to use 4530s cuz thats all thay ken afford!!!!

People are so stupid it hurts to read frequently, thanks for parting that out Lonyo :)

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Two cameras, a motorized mount, motion/position detection hardware, etc doesn't cost that much at all.

Certainly not the $100 or $150 they currently charge for it. It's probably closer to $15. (and before someone spazzes out, $57 is closer to $15 than it is to $100.)

Supposed BOM Source was $63 at launch, so you would anticipate it having gone down for Kinect 1, with Kinect v2 being probably not that dissimilar, since tech moves on and gets better and also cheaper.
But I put no real stock in iSuppli figures, so it's just a random number pulled from someone's ass IMO.

But generally speaking, everything associated with a console (from the basics like controllers or other accessories, to games etc) all have their prices jacked up from what they cost in order to cover the losses made on the consoles, so of course any stand alone piece won't cost anything near retail price to make it.

Last edited: