XBOX 360 Optical drive repair

Oct 29, 2015
Hey lords and ladies of the net,

Not sure if this section covers to much in the realm of repair but I figured I'd post her any way for the sake of reach some whose had a bit of experience in this area.
Had a family reach out to me to see if I could get their son's Xbox 360 going (yeah I know old as dirt, anyway), currently doesn't want to detect or play discs and seems to have issues ejecting in general.
I've opened it up and had a peak inside, had a bit of dust I've cleaned up and blown out, cleaned the rails and the laser (q-tip and alcohol). Put it together enough to do a bench run and found it still didn't seem to be detecting the disc. So took the cover off of the optical tray so I could get an idea on how things were going inside.
I've noticed the tray seems to have an easier time coming out with the cover off. When the disc tray retracts with the disc I can see the laser come on and the motor barely attempts to spin, so I'm thinking the motor itself may be the issue, which seems like a cheap enough theory to try but I figured i would post this in case anyone else has had the pleasure of having one of these apart.

What I'm questioning is how freely should a healthy disc motor spin? The one I extracted will spin smoothly manually, meaning as I turn it with my fingers it does sound like the bearings are grinding or anything but if I try to give the motor a spin and release it (think like you would with a fidget spinner) it immediately comes to a stop. As I don't have a known good part to compare to, I'm hoping for someone else's experience and hopefully prevent me from running a fools errand on trying a disc motor when I should be getting a replacement drive and going through drive key importing.
Thanks in advance!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
when I should be getting a replacement drive and going through drive key importing.
Thanks in advance!
That is the answer. Although I did have one where replacing the belt was the fix.

Oct 29, 2015
Any chance you happened to have given the motor a spin with your fingers? I'm mostly curious now on how smoothly they are supposed to spin.

What Drive key swap utility did you use?